Newly broken tibia and fibula...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Broke both bones on left leg almost 2 weeks ago. Using a walker to hop to the bathroom. It's caused my right hip muscles to be really painful since it's doing the work for two. This hurts more than the bone break. 

Anyone else experienced this? Helpful tips?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes! I broke my ankle on 11/13, surgery 11/18. NWB for nearly 3 months. I used a scooter to get around much better than crutches or hopping with a walker. However, the pain in my back and buttocks was really bad at times on the leg that had to use the scooter. Massage therapy helped. I was afraid the pain would not go away after I was out of the boot & weight bearing but it did almost immediately. Try the scooter. I got mine on Amazon for $159. It was a Godsend. Nice basket on the front to carry my "stuff". Good luck - it'll get better. But patience is the key.

• Posted

The buttocks pain. I had forgotten to mention that but it too is outrageous. I've been sitting on an ice pack, for relief. My husband and I joke about that more than anything else. 

The scooter sounds cool. Glad you're getting relief. 

Patience...boy isn't that the truth. 

Take care 😀

• Posted

You might want to try some heat instead of ice. I have a heating pad I use daily on my back/lower back.

It will get better. At the end of the day look at the positives you had that day. Some days it seemed like there were none, but there were. Hang in there!

• Posted

Oh yes the sore hip flexor. My physio guys gave me two excersises that really helped release it. Lie on the very edge of bed and stretch your leg straight out towards the floor and then do with bend leg try 3-4 times. Also putting a ball under your hip while lying in your stomach helps release it. Do these a couple time a day, they real did help to release it. I also got some Voltaren pain relieve cream and massaged it in which helped too. An adjustment at the chiropractor also put my hips back into alignment. My lower back has been out of whack as well.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your ideas. I'm game for anything right now. 

Hope you're continuing to feel better. 

Take care. 😀

• Posted

Hi, I broke my tibia and fibula Dec 27. I had the same issue. I thought a walker would work great but I had horrible hip pain after only a short walk to the bathroom. I ended up getting crutches and that seemed to help because I was able to use more upper body strength Than with the walker. I could also lean them with my arm pits if I got too tired. It gets easier as time goes on and your body adjusts.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your input. Sorry to hear about your injury. 

I cant believe all the hopping I'm doing. No wonder my hip is so out of whack. I have crutches but didn't feel steady on them. That was a few days ago. I may try it again. 

Wishing you a great recovery. 

Take care. 😀

• Posted

Indeed, i cant hop around with the zimmer it's way too painful and makes my foot swell up to a balloon i just wheel around to the desk and back to the bed lol not much of a life but hopefully its not forever i did mine on the 21st feb and have an external fixator on for 8 weeks then hopefully get it taken off then have a cast on for two more weeks.. ahh its a long slow bleed but we will get there! just try to occupy yourself, i'm starting to write a book because well, this is the most perfect time to do it!!

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I can feel your pain I am 16 weeks from the similar surgery in my left ankle and have 1 plate and 9 screws. I have been following this page recently and been feeling much better from each others view on their recovery. I know it might take a Long time but we need to be strong to endure this ordeal and move forward. Yes it was so much in pain when I was off cast on my 10th week after my surgery... I cld hardly stand for 10 mins or more with the walking stick. My hip bone and lower back will give me severe pain and I will need to sit asap. I used a wheelchair to move around my house most of the time. I read up lots of info in the web and decided to go for aqua walking it did help me abit but the hip pain will be still there. Gradually I started to feel that I am very dependent on the wheel chair now When i try to walk looks like I have a slight limp. My ankle swells like a mountain

I Guess we have to go thru this part of healing before it can be normal... juz continue to do your PT and don't give up walking coz of the pain. Alittle walk a day will be nearer to recovery. Speedy recovery to u. Do keep in touch. I am from Singapore what about you ?

• Posted

Wow. Sounds like you've really been through it. You still have a positive attitude. Very inspirational. 😀

My back is so much better due to heating pad and raising up the toilet seat.

My injury was March 6th so still pretty new. I got my first cast off yesterday. Everyone looks good. Sutures are healing beautifully. Kind of Frankensteinish but that's ok. I'm grateful to have my leg.

Doc says zero weight bearing for the next 3-4 months. He thinks I'll be able to actually walk around the house to some extent in around 5 months.

Patience will have to be my friend. I'm blessed with an amazing husband. He has the best sense of humor.

We live in California, USA

• Posted

I was NWB for 3 months. Same injury & surgery. After getting into pt he said he's never had a patient in the boot NWB for so long, so recovery has been long for me. The longer you're NWB the longer the recovery. I'd ask if you have to be NWB that long. My break was November 13, surgery November 18. I'm just now walking somewhat comfortably 50% of the time. It's slow

& takes a lot of patience. I have a great husband who has helped & is a great support. I'm very blessed!

• Posted

I'm so glad you have such a supportive husband. This sitting around waiting to heal is frustrating whether you're active or retired and love being a homebody.

My doc says that due to my extreme tub/fib break, I may even be looking at 4 months NWB.

I have something like 2 rods, a plate and 15 screws.

Time will tell.

I wish you a speedy healing. 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.