Newly Diagnosed.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to the doctor today about my depression which has probably been going on mildly for 4 years now, likely due to being quite ill with anaemia!

She has suggested anti-depressants which I am defintiely considering as a first basis for feeling better quicker. However I don't want to just rely on that as I worry if I go on them and do nothing else I won't be able to come off them again. I don't want to be dependent on them.

The therapy paths she suggested are the normal talking therapy which I like the idea of this because it looks into finding the cause not just dealing with the symptoms or CBT/mindfulness - I am unsure on which one I like the sound of most, I think they both sound really good at dealing with the symptoms but they don't deal with the cause so I worry that I will become dependent on them the same way I would with pills.

I wonder if pills and talking therapy might work well together as a two pronged attack.

I know treatment is different for everyone but hearing any suggestions or experiences would be really really appreciated!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Don't forget that Food is medicine as well.  Do a little research on the Paleo Auto-Immune Protocol.  I've been practicing it for quite some time now and have found relief and healing the stricter I am with the food choices that I make.  Good Luck!
  • Posted

Hi just because you take ad's doesn't follow that you have to become dependant on them.   Many folk use them short term to start to feel better and more able to deal with your issues.   If you want to come off them you tail them off slowly (under a doctor of course).  Most of the ad's these days are not very addictive like they used to be in the old days.

As far as counselling goes,  talking therapies are more likely to help you get to the bottom of your problems.  CBT is good for finding practical ways to deal with difficulties and aim to change your pattern of thinking.   Why not do both?  x

• Posted

Hi, I'm a bit confused. You said that the depression is due to anaemia; are you getting that treated? It might be worth waiting to see if that lifts your mood, especially if your depression is mild. Is there a reason your anaemia will take a long time to cure? I don't mean to pry, but treatment with anti-depressants can be long and complex and come with a batch of side-effects, so if you can do it with iron instead that would be preferable.

If you can't then ADs can be helpful, either temporarily or in the long term. Some people are dependent on them permanently and there shouldn't be any stigma to that (because like aspirin they are a palliative not a cure), but there's no reason you should be if the cause is your anaemia. 

Again I'm confused, because psychotherapy wouldn't normally be prescribed for depression associated with anaemia. Psychodynamic therapy is brilliant for getting to the root of emotional wounds, and helping you to come to terms with them, but you'll probably already know if you have these sorts of issues. The first time it can be a relief just to have someone listen. It can be life-changing, but its a gruelling process and can take a long time to have an effect. Sometimes you won't feel the alteration for some time after the therapy is finished. CBT helps you to manage the way you react to the world on a daily basis and helps you to see things in a more positive way. It's very good for building up self-image, and works quite quickly. It does investigate your issues a bit but doesn't go very deep.

Don't worry, you can't become addicted to talking therapy, they kick you out when you've had your allotted sessions!

The first time I tried counselling without anti-depressants (because in the old days there was a lot more fear surrounding them) but found I couldn't think straight because I was severely depressed, so after a few weeks got a prescription, which lifted me just enough for the therapy to help. You could try the same thing, and if your depression really is mild then maybe you won't need the pills at all.

Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon. 

• Posted

Thing is my Dr didn't really look into why I'm depressed I've just sort of connected the dots which is why I want to try therapy to see if there is something more. 

I worry the anaemia will take a while because it's been an issue for a number of years now and I am struggling with how low I feel, it's not something I really ever talk about but a few years ago I went through a time of self-harm and body image issues which led to me taking laxatives etc and on the worse days I worry that I'm getting to that point again.

I think I'm just stuck as to what to do! Thank you for your advice I think perhaps therapy first and see how I get on with that.

• Posted

Hi doctors don't look at why you are depressed as they are not mental health experts.  They are just the primary medical professionals you see who can signpost you to the relevant treatment.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.