Newly diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

The first time the pain occured I thought I had a tumour and the whole of my head was going to explode. I had gone to the doctors the week before with terrible pain in my jaw and thought it could have been an absess on my tooth. I didnt see the doctor but the nurse practiciner she looked in my mouth and said yes you have an abcess take paracetamol and a course of anti-biotics, of course nothing worked and about the 5 day of thinking that I was now dying not able to eat or drink anything went to another doctor in a different area because I physically couldnt get to my own surgery. He immediatley asked a number of questions and said its ok I know what it is he explained about TN and prescribed Tegretol although it took 24hrs to start working I was just happy that I wasnt going mad. It has caused a great disruption to my life and I am finding it very difficult to cope,I am also trying to find out as much as possible about TN this site has been great.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

smile Hi

Have you ever worked , been in close contact with any organic solvents such as Trichloroethylene ?

I'm not saying that what you have is the same thing that I had many yrs.ago . What I remember is ...It was as if someone was aiming needles at the side of my face & I would keep flinching away from them .

My GP laughed when I told him saying \" He had never heard of such a thing & the only pain he knew of that resembled mine was Shingles \" & to go back to see him if I got a rash ,..I never got a rash so I never went back to that Dr for many yrs. & then , only because there wasn't any other option , I then reminded him of what he had told me many yrs. before .I still don't have a lot of faith in Drs .

Good Luck

Brenda uk

• Posted

I once had this, many years ago now and it turned out that mine was due to a large impacted wisdom tooth pressing on the trigeminal nerve....

Once this was removed, the trigeminal neuralgia symptoms went....

• Posted

[color=blue:cfc35fe5e7][/color:cfc35fe5e7] :x I think i have TN i recently went to the doctors as i have been having really bad jaw ache. it starts at my jaw and goes up towards my head and down my neck and down the side of my tongue. he checked me over and says i have a virus but sitting in the waiting room i had a stabbing pain that went at the side of my tongue and made my side of my neck go very stiff and achey towards the front and if i tilted my head back it reallly hurt. it made me feel very sick and lightheaded. so reading about tn and what people have experienced i believe i have it. should i go to the doctors again as i type this reply my jaw and neck is aching.[/b]
  • Posted

[b:74aff70173]HI MICHELLE,

I HAVE HAD TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA FOR OVER 8 YEARS NOW AND WAS DUE TO GO IN FOR THE M.V.D OPERATION BUT TURNED THIS DOWN AS I NOW HAVE GOT THE VERY PAINFUL CONDITION UNDER CONTROL WITH MEDICATION.

YOU MUST NOT SUFFER IN PAIN GET TO YOUR DOCTORS AND DEMAND THAT HE/SHE SENDS YOU EITHER FOR A MRI SCAN AND OR TO SEE A NEUROLOGIST BY HAVING THE SCAN IT IS A SURE WAY OF CONFIRMING THE TN.

I AM AFRAID THAT YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE MEDICATIONS TO HELP BUT IF THEY STOP THE PAIN THAT IS BETTER THAN SUFFERING.

BUT IT CAN TAKE TIME TO FIND A MEDICATION OR MEDICATIONS THAT WORK AS WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND NEED TO FIND THAT ONE THAT SUITS US BEST.

I DO HOPE THAT YOU ARE PAIN FREE VERY SOON.

TAKE CARE AND MITHER YOUR GP AND IF YOU DONT GET ANYWHERE GO TO A&E LIKE I HAD TO DO.

BEST WISHES

TINA[/b:74aff70173] :wink:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.