Newly diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 45 and have recently been diagnosed with Raynaud's. There is 1 question I would like to know from other suffer's, have you found the hand you normally use for opening bottles and jars has become weakened and are now finding difficulty in doing these general tasks?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i have been diagnosed bout 2 weeks ago after i went to another doctor who told me tht i didnt have raynauds five weeks previously. it was only when i got shooting pains in my hands and couldnt type into the computer that i was working on that i went back. i have had weakness in my right hand which is the main hand that it started in. i get shooting pains and the stinging sesation of paper cut... my doctor has put me on nifedipine and its helping. i would advise that you ask your doctor for nifedipine it has helped me regain semi control of my hands so i could carry on working.

regards

Vickie

• Posted

One of the causes of Raynaud's is carpal tunnel syndrome which causes shoot pains up your wrists. It feels like a jolt of electricity when it hits and it hurts like you know what but it's usually brief. Treating the carpal tunnel may actually resolve your Raynaud's permanently. You need to see a neurologist and get an EMG study done to be see if that may be the cause. Unless you are experiencing Raynaud's in your feet as well, then it may be just the carpal tunnel causing it.
  • Posted

I have been diagnosed with Rhuematoid arthritis, palendrome arthritis, and Raynauds. I am not sure who is right, All I know for sure is that my fingers swell, turn red, hurt and crack. They are extremely painful to even bump and I lose strength in them and feel handicapped trying to use my thumbs and palms for all tasks.

It hits in November and I have tried to link it to something I eat at Thanksgiving only but I think that is wishful thinking. Even when it is not active, I seem to have very weak fingers that cramp when I type too much so I am not a typer.

• Posted

I have had secondary raynauds & systemic scleraderma for 15 years now, over a ten year period i felt i was used a a guniepig were medication was concerned. 6 years ago i developed gangreen in my right index finger i was taken into the rhumetology department of my local hospital and was given a 5 day treatment of iliprost infusions. This was the first thing that helped me, since then i have been admitted every 12 wks for the infusions and unfortunately will have to continue with this for the rest of my life, but needless to say this is a small price to pay for some relief form the pain and discomfort, my rhumetologist has my medication under control now and thankfully i get some degree of pain relief. I have been told that i have an extremely severe case and this is why i have lost two fingers due to ulcerations and gangreen.

I would urge everyone to follow the advice that their consultants give and if you feel that you are not benefiting from medication or treatment you are being offered to ask if there is an alternative. It took 9 years or so being refered from one rhumetologist to another to get my situaton under control but i am very gratefull to the staff and doctors etc that now look after me.

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with a mild Raynauds. I was also tested for Scleroderma but I think it was negative because I have heard nothing and the consultant said he would call me before my routine appointment if anything showed.

I had nerve conduction tests yesterday and they were fine, no CT or nerve compression but I had to have my hands in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before the neurologist could conduct the tests. :roll:

• Posted

Since March my middle finger has been inflamed and swollen around april my joints started getting stiff in the mornings, and when I say joints I mean all of them, ankles, knees- mainly the right one, right wrist, all of my fingers but mainly my left middle finger. Over easter break I went to the doctors where they did blood tests and x-rays, the x-rays showed no anomalies, but the blood came back with rhuematoid factors. The week before last I was in so much pain I could hardly walk, and my right wrist wouldn't support my own weight anymore, regardless I was forced to walk to FOUR different doctors including a walkin clinic before they would even make me an appointment (they could all see I was in agony since I was crying the whole time since every step was agonising). Eventually I found a doctor who could make me and appointment... for two days later. I took it and the doctor was very good he prescribed me prednisolone tablets instructing me to take 6 a day. Within two days the swelling in my knee was completely gone, I was able to use my wrist for general things again though it was still fragile. I've been off the steroids for three days and my right wrist has completely deteriorated I can't even hold my phone's weight in it, and don't ask me to turn a key in a lock with it... my elbows have been sore again and my ankles are getting swollen. I'm getting shooting pains in my right wrist, it's making me feel sick, and I haven't been able to eat or sleep properly for the past two days, the pain keeps me awake with the shooting pains and it makes me feel nauseated everytime I try and eat. Oh did I mention that my qualifications include: first diploma in sport, as PE, JSLA, sports leaders level 2, national level in high jump, 100m, cross country, and football, not to mention I'm halfway through a national certificate in outdoor adventure and a member of the water sport academy, with whom I have achieved BCU 2* in kayaking, and am working towards similar qualifications in windsurfing, sailing, mountain leaders, powerboating, also with the water sport academy I placed second in a local surf comp. I'm a freerunner, do downhill mountain biking, kickboxing and any other sport you can think of. Oh and did I mention I'm only 18. I know everyone says this; but really why me?

(apologies if I posted this in the wrong section... ) :cry:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.