Newly diagnosed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis last week, spent 1day in hospital and advised probable cause was alcohol, got a couple of questions;

1 I'm due to go on holiday next week abroad will it affect travel insurance.?

2. Can I have a couple of drinks or do they mean no alcohol at all?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i was in hospital 4weeks ago with acute pancreatitis, not caused by alcohol or gallstones, the Dr's have no idea what has caused it. I was told absolutely no alcohol at all, for 6 month as the pancreas needs to heal and it can take 6month to heal, alcohol can cause more damage and another attack which can be dangerous. Also I'm going on holiday in Sept and have found an insurance company that will cover me for £95 for 2 week trip to the Med, its not worth taking the risk. 

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Richard 

It might do. You should speak with your travel insurance company.

No alcohol. Not even one until you are given the all clear.

• Posted

Hey Richard. 

I watched someone very close go from acute to chronic very fast.  Like you his acute was from drinking. What I can tell you is that with him, there was always a reason to drink and never saw the reason not to drink and all the time that one drink turned into many.  These stages of chronic pancreatitis are brutal. Even when he doesn't drink for a while he gets his attacks,and never mind that even without the attacks he has pain every day with constant restroom stops and many more side effects because the damage has already been done so from what I seen it turns from an attack to daily pain management. 

I would say that you do not want to move from acute to chronic and if there is a reason to stop drinking for a long time or for good it would be now. 

Your alcoholic acute attack is a way of your body telling you that you need to stop.

Lots of websites say that there is not proof that acute is tide to chronic but believe me it is because I watched it happen. As far as travel you should contact your provider because it really depends on who your provider is. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

You have stated a case all people with pancreatitis should have to read. My pancreatitis is a genetic defect, but I hear the pain this has caused a loved one. I hope life gets better for both of you.

Paul

• Posted

Hi Richard I had Acute Pancreatitis 5 months ago due to heavy drinking, I was hospital for 8 days.  Needless to say I was faced with a choice to make and I haven't touched a drop of booze since and I have never felt better but its a second chance and I havegrabbed it because there may well not be a third... knock alcohol on the head totally and permanently if I were you, what has happened to you is very serious and now is the time to quit, we have a pancreas that will not tolerate alcohol and thats the reality of it.  Definitely get your insurance sorted as its quite recent and there's a chance of a relapse.
  • Posted

It should not affect travel insurance. The drinking part is another story, unless you plan holiday to be spent in the ER, i would suggest no alcohol. Ive had chronic/acute pancreatitis since 2008.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.