Newly diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am at present having tests for what the doctor believes is diverticulitus, waiting for sigmoidoscopy later in the month, but all symptoms point to this diagnosis, just wanted a little advice please, I have been having severe left hand side pain and diarrhea and constipation for weeks now which was why insisted on a proper check as it did not feel like the IBS they constantly say I have. After my first consultation was told to take colpermin and fybogel which have both helped immensely, but my question is does the constant gnawing, sicky uncomfortable feeling go away once the colon has calmed down or is that yucky feeling always there. I am trying to change my eating habits which also helps, but love a good old cappuccino, is this a no no. I am now scared to eat anything with seeds and am desperate for a curry, what helps for you and what is a real problem.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Iam no expert but sounds from your description of the symptons a course of antibiotics could be needed.

Constant gnawing, sicky uncomfortable feeling is just what I get when infected.

I find also that buscapan (available without prescription) are a great help.

• Posted

Thought Buscopan was just for  I.B S ?

Does it take pain away?

• Posted

Hi youngaheart1,

From what you have been describing you seem to have what I call 'an episode' or 'flare up'....which does settle AFTER antibiotics. If you are still experiencing pain ensure you are getting antibiotics as this an infection not just discomfort.

I find after a course of antibiotics - (I was able to mange 3 times on oral, but last 2 have been intravenous), I do feel uncomfortable, and sicky. The whole diet thing is yet to be proven by science - BUT i am much more careful. I find it hard often balancing enough fibre without overdoing it so that i am constantly going to the toilet. The key is drinking water regularily during the day, always having a cereal in the morning...and I take Movicil to avoid constipation. I have not had a flare up since April so keeping fingers crossed.

But I did resign from my job as stress definetly impacts on me. I am seeing a Gastrointeroligist (spelling???) in a couple of weeks.

I am more confident this condition can be managed - but it does compromise lifestyle - good-luck...keeping banging on the docs door. 

• Posted

Hi had colonoscopy yesterday, not all scary as I had thought, prep was worse as my bum was really sore. Such a strange sensation it feels like weeing out of your bum lol.  As suspected I have diverticula disease, everything else ok, no polyps, but took 8 biopsies whatever that means, am feeling ok today, but when I pass wind a bit of bloody diarrhoea comes out, which I suspect is normal. Best result possible really as I can now start to change diet, I do know a couple of things to avoid that I get most pain with, the rest will just be a learning curve. Hope everyone is well.
    • Posted

Think the expression is ""AS well as can be Expected""

Grand tour of your tubes makes interesting viewing

Now begins the serious bit   YOUD DIET !!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.