Newly diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello 😃 I was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF last week, I'm actually relieved to find out what has been plaguing me for a number of years, thought I was losing my mind. My AF is intermittent so wasn't always picked up on ECG.  I've been put on diltiazem and awaiting a pulmonary vein abalation.  Im just wondering of anyone else has had this procedure? 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I had this done in London 2 years ago this March, under general, through both groins, so far so good, did take a couple of weeks to settle down

Occasionally I get an extra beat thrown in from the ventricle, but my consultant assures me its ok

I also got a mobile ECG which goes on my IPhone and if I get stressed or Anxious I take a reading and mail to my consultant, although I think I can read the ECG myself now😄

Good luck and I hope it does the trick

• Posted

Thanks dazzler, I've heard about these apps, they sound great
    • Posted

Hi, yes they are very settling

BTW. I was 45 when I had nine performed

• Posted

Hi, I use AliveECG which works with the Alive Cor monitor, the latest download actually tells you if you are in or out of sinus, saves bothering the consultant

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Dazzler, i do too and i use it to monitor my heart as a guide. I have found its recent update to be good.... but not perfect. I have Prinzmetal angina micro and macro spasms and intermittant arrythmia... i use it to determine trip to A&E or not and produce a monthly set of recordings for my GP to check over or send to the consultant.... I use it as part of that process only. I would suggest anyone else does the same and not to rely on it for all the answer, but by heck it does help!!!
  • Posted

Hi, was diagnosed about 2 months ago with Afib but had it for over 30 years. I was diagnosed after I phoned for an ambulance due to fast heart beats and it was picked up on ECG.  I was in the same hospital 5 months before that and stayed in for 10 days but it was'nt picked up then. I was told by the Dr that they try 2/3 different medications first and if they don't work they will try the ablation. i am also on blood thinners, are you on these?

I am surprised they did not start you on meds first before the ablation. Have you been given a date for the operation?  The 2 meds I tried did not work so am now waiting to see the cardiologist about possible ablation. 

• Posted

Hi merryl, I am on meds, I'm on diltiazem, he hasn't put me on thinners tho but I'm guessing that could be because my AF is intermittent? I'm just awaiting a referral at min. I'm only 45 maybe this is why they opt for the surgery? 
    • Posted

Hi, mine is intermittent too. When I was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, the paramedic said I had quite a few attacks but I did'nt feel any of them. The one's I can feel are very uncomfortable though. 

Hope all goes well for you! 

• Posted

Thanks merryl, it is u comfortable isnt it sad
    • Posted

just out of curiosity (please) where either of you fairly fit and active and have been so for a long time ie since at least late teens?I also have intermittant AF...
    • Posted

Yes I was Andrew. I used to have a resting heartrate of an athlete app, always around 60 mark.  I started training as a nurse in 2010, three years of stress and bedlam really, then I got my first job in emergency care, same situation. Now I'm in a post that is mon-fri and fairly laid back this has kicked off again, it's really strange as I don't feel stressed at all. I would so love to go back to exercising but I'm scared to. 
    • Posted

Hi Andrew.

At 40 I had a mild heart attach with a stent, family history seemed the same but was living a stressful life as a senior manager, still pretty stressful when AF occurred

Since then got fitter, resting rate 58 and I belt the daylights out of a road bike

I would say there's a corralation to stress (my personal view)

Darren

• Posted

Hi Darren, yup that would do it from what i understand..... i was askingas my AF comes from being very fit... and now due ot other reasons i am not doing as much but my heart has high expectations and sometimes has a hissy fit accordingly. Stress is not good for the body espeacially when you are trying to sort things out one way and systems perhaps dont let you...leading to a build up of unresolvedness... Thank you! and good luck with the ongoing .....
    • Posted

hmmmm my fit resting pulse was very low 40's high 30's as it was for Darren perhaps stress was the big event with fit heart second, how long did you keep very fit for? it does seem the heart get used to being pushed and then cant adapt to not being pushed. Perhaps gentle exercise would be worthwhile. Again i would check out with an exercise stress test to see but.... from my experience it does help, check first though! thank you...
    • Posted

I was very fit for a good few years, I did bike riding, boxing (milder version for females lol), aerobics and yoga. Now I do nothing.  I am building myself up to starting some gentle bike riding again as I've heard exercise is actually the best thing for AF but as you know the palps tend to be off putting 
    • Posted

Ps.... There is definitely something in what yr saying about body's expectations, couldn't agree more 
    • Posted

Thank you and with regard to your previous post, some might say a sport is the ladies easier version... - no the sport is as challenging for that person body type etc etc so you were very fit and at the peak of your ability / capability. hmmmmm i would be inclined to say then that exercise would help and to a certain extent the more you can do the better? a few gentle rides to start with sounds a good plan! but dont get carried away - it is very easy to the oh this is fun again takes over very quickly - set a route and stick to it... and ENJOY, thank you for your response though interesting. GP is interested too as he says they hear it a lot and are aware of this phenomina and Prof Pearsons work with mice supports it experimentally wonder if a survey was done whether there woudl be the stres group the fit group and (sorry but ) others along with overlaps bit of a venn diagram.We will have to set up a cycling / walking club.... 
    • Posted

I remember when I first got diagnosed, and after, I was s*** scared to exercise, my consultant was pretty relaxed about it saying that it might aggravate it but that was all, try telling your head that...

but as Andrew says they can stress test you on an exercise ECG 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.