Newly diagnosed

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ive been recently diagnosed with diverticular disease and i am currently having an attack of diverticulitis.

Should i be eating a high fibre diet right now? Is it good to take a fibre supplement? And does anyone have any tips for trying to avoid future attacks?

Thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When having an attack you should go on a liquid diet then gradually began to eat solid foods and add fiber. The intestines must rest during this time. Take probiotics to restore the good bacteria. Its good to take probiotics everyday and aloe vera juice. This soothes the intestines and help prevent future flare ups. You must keep a food diary of the foods that you can and can not tolerate because everyone is different when it comes to solid foods. Hope this was a help.
  • Posted

When the attack first start you should mainly be on clear liquids, for instance ginger ale, tea, to name a few. You should consult with your doctor. Besides you should be taking the antibiotic as well. You have to give that area a time to rest and heal. I am just getting over this and returning to work tomorrow.
    • Posted

I have been out all week and returning tomorrow. Thank goodness that issue has subsided I'm no good to this type of pain. I think all the advises on this site are good ones. I thankful to have people here who can relate and also share there experience.
  • Posted

Hi Alison; looks like you have all the advice you need in your replies....it took me YEARS to find out what to do!! Liquid and/or low fibre when ill.  Only high fibre when out of pain and back to normal.  Do take an Acidophilis 20 billion tablet a day from Holland and Barrett (UK) - keep in fridge.  These are amazing; and have kept my regular flare ups away since last July ever since I started taking one a day!!!  I had been ill more than I was well before this.  Do not eat seeds; nuts; pips; skins - and that includes dried fruits which have dried pips and skins; and also the centre part of bananas.  Try spices with caution; and try the windy veg like onions; cabbage and broccoli with caution.  Hope you are soon feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.