newly diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have just come back from the GP after having blood tests last week.

The results i was given was TSH 69.7 and T4 5.1. This meant nothing to me but GP diagnosed with under active Thyroid.I am nearly 54 but have been feeling really tired and put on loads of weight of late.GPsaid she wasn't suprised I was feeling tired as this was the highest result she had seen, she has just prescribed LEVOTHROXINE 75 mg to start.

Can anyone give me any further information.

Thanks Gina

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That is very high!  I felt bad when my TSH was at 7.00.  I feel very bad for you as you must be suffering.  I don't have much advice but just wanted to say that 75mcg is a high starting dose.  Usually doctors start at 25 mcg and work their way up to a higher dose.  Levothyroxine can give you alot side effects if too high a sarting dose or too fast a dose raise.  So, be careful and listen to your body.  If you start to feel jittery, sweaty, heart palpaltations..ect, try cutting back to half and work your self up to the 75mcg.  I worked my way up to 100mcg slowly in a year and still cannot tolerate the full dose all at once.  I now take half in the morning and half at night.  Best wishes to you...

• Posted

Thanks for your reply sweetmelissa, I will start medication as advised tomorrow and see how it goes but thanks for your advice much appreciated.
  • Posted

I am newly diagnosed with under active thyroid, and put on the same meds. No side effects at all. I do want to say that both my doctor and my pharmacist told me it would be three to six weeks to fully kick in. It really helps to know that there is actually a time I can expect to feel myself again.

I only have a slightly under active thyroid, your numers are way different than mine, so I'm not surprised that you are on a higher dose than I.  If in doubt about the amount, check with your doctor before messing with the dose. Double check that he is sure about the dosage, if so, ask if you should or could take half am and half pm. Your doctor's job is to make you feel better, and that includes setting your mind at rest. Hugs, Gina. Let us know what he says, Honey

• Posted

She has asked me to take first thing in the morning and may want to increase to higher dosage after 3 months, She has also advised that I may not feel any benefit for first few months but hopefully symptoms will subside.It's the weight gain and tiredness that I want to improve especially as going on holiday in 4 weeks. Thanks for your reply x

• Posted

My directions were also to take very first thing in the morning. Do check on line for foods that help and foods that hinder hypothyroidism. A great help to me.

A huge help has been to eat only small amounts of food or water at a time. Just eat more frequently. One of the things that happens with thyroid problems is the metabolism slows down, so this way of eating and drinking makes perfect sense. This will help make your holiday much more pleasant. If you go out to eat, don't eat raw veggies of any kind....hard to digest...cooked is fine. Also, eat your appetizer slowly and take the main course home to eat a little at a time later.

Your friends/family will understand you are having to watch the way you eat for a time. Also, your good attitude about it will reassure them that they don't need to worry about you.

cut out sugar as much as possible and monitor your salt intake.

Have fun and let us know how you are doing, Gina. Hugs to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.