Newly Diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all 

Just found out I have hereditary hemachromatosis. 

I'm clueless I have loads of other medical problems going on but just wondered does anyone else suffer from fatigue caused by the hemachromatosis?

Thanks in advance 

Sally 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes - and it is my most troublesome symptom.  Fatigue is one of the common symptoms of hereditary hemachromatosis that starts early on.

When symptoms start depends on what type of hereditary hemochromatosis you have.

The US National Institutes of Health Genetic Home Reference on hereditary hemochromatosis says, "Early symptoms of hereditary hemochromatosis are nonspecific and may include fatigue, joint pain, abdominal pain, and loss of sex drive. Later signs and symptoms can include arthritis, liver disease, diabetes, heart abnormalities, and skin discoloration. The appearance and progression of symptoms can be affected by environmental and lifestyle factors such as the amount of iron in the diet, alcohol use, and infections.

Hereditary hemochromatosis is classified by type depending on the age of onset and other factors such as genetic cause and mode of inheritance. Type 1, the most common form of the disorder, and type 4 (also called ferroportin disease) begin in adulthood. Men with type 1 or type 4 hemochromatosis typically develop symptoms between the ages of 40 and 60, and women usually develop symptoms after menopause.

Type 2 hemochromatosis is a juvenile-onset disorder. Iron accumulation begins early in life, and symptoms may appear in childhood. By age 20, decreased or absent secretion of sex hormones is evident. Females usually begin menstruation in a normal manner, but menses stop after a few years. Males may experience delayed puberty or symptoms related to a shortage of sex hormones. If the disorder is untreated, heart disease becomes evident by age 30.

The onset of type 3 hemochromatosis is usually intermediate between types 1 and 2. Symptoms of type 3 hemochromatosis generally begin before age 30."

• Posted

Yes, it's a classic symptom as Gillian said. Also hoping the deironing helps clear up your other problems. It can be the root cause of a lot of things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.