Newly diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a newly diaagnosed hypothyroid patient. Blood results actually came back last week but it was tge 60lb weight gain in 10 months that made me go to the doc in the first place.

I've never had thyroid issues that I know of although there is a possibility my father had it- no way to find out his history or my own.

So I started wondering 'how' I mean everything has a reason it happens (i thought). Called my nurse and she told me it's just not putting out enoigh hormones, no other reason.

Through all my reading to get acquainted with my diagnoses not once did it say 'may happen for no reason at all' there was always a cause to it. According to my nurse that's just not the case.

My question is can your thyroid be underactive for no reason at all? Also is there a test you had to tell you what went wrong?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

~jennifer~

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, thyroid disease happens in response to stress on the body, toxic chemical exposure, radiation or microbial exposure. 

Most thyroid disease falls into Hashimoto’s or Grave’s disease- both are autoimmune.  So thyroid disease is basically autoimmune disease.

Traditional medical treatment can range from hormone replacement therapy (non-bioidentical), radiation to slow thyroxin production or removal of the thyroid gland. 

There are many posts here by people who’ve experienced both traditional and holistic treatments. I suggest you read as many as you can, in order to educate yourself on the progression of thyroid disease, prevention and treatment. Understand that treatment does not equal prevention.

Ask lots of questions. People here will help you and offer great support!

• Posted

Thank you very much that is helpful but i would like to make sure I'm clear on what you've said. The first part seems to say it can be caused by environmental elements.

But then you go into hashimotos and graves...it is my understanding hashimotos is the most common cause of a hypothyroid. It is also my understanding that something HAS TO cause it. It doesnt just happen "because".

Where i get concerned is at the possibility of either autoimmune disease just because of the other things that can follow. Is tgere anyway to find out HOW this happened?

• Posted

Jennifer, it depends on where you live. I happen to live in California. The nuclear power plants built decades ago are at the end of their lifespan. Nuclear power plants are known to produce two types of radioactive iodine.

Mercury, found in large fish is known to cause thyroid disease.  Birth control pills are another culprit. Genetics play a role... bromine is another chemical known to specifically cause thyroid disease.

Nutritional deficiencies, particularly Bs, D, C, minerals. Magnesium, boron, calcium can all contribute to thyroid disease.

• Posted

Jennifer, the short answer to your original question is “no” and your nurse is basically correct. Medical science puts forward numerous POSSIBLE causes, including a genetic predisposition. If you suspect that your father was affected, then genetics is certainly a candidate in your case. A healthy lifestyle is often recommended but there are no guarantees.

If you like, post your blood results here and describe any other symptoms beyond the weight gain.

What treatment are you receiving?

• Posted

Treatment is Levothyroxine. Just got a hold of records from that visit and all it says is low t4 w/ elevated tsh.

Other symptoms:

Lethargy

Sensitive to cold

Depression

Brittle nails

Dry skin

High cholesterol

Sluggishness

Irregular uterine bleeding

As dar as my father I'd only speculated about this affecting him. He always had weight issues but his was up and down, to my knowledge he didnt have any of the others. Honestly i think i spoke with no basis.

• Posted

Jennifer, with those symptoms and elevated TSH (they should give you the actual value, by the way) you are for sure hypothyroid. Be aware that the medication will take several weeks show any effect, and the dose may need several adjustments. Levothyroxine works well for the majority of patients, and is chemically identical to what your thyroid produces. Good Luck! Keep us posted.
    • Posted

Brief update.....

It was really bothering me not knpwing if there was a definituve cause so i went back to the doc. Told him i didn't know family history, uncertainty is one and the same after all. I did however, tell him my father was overweight and i couldnt tell him why.

He said the reason he didn't test for hashimotos at all is because the two reasons i might possibly have hypothyroid is either family history or hashimotos. He said it was a 'safe bet' it was hashimotos.

He did offer to order the test for it and i said I'd think about it. I'm going to get test because i really do need to know but I'm curious...what would you do? Also as a side note, my TSH is elevated but my T3 & T4 are still in the normal range.

• Posted

Even if it’s genetic it can still be Hashimoto’s. Mine is genetic and Hashimoto’s. I’ve always had to watch my weight, but this, with the severe autoimmune is different than just genetic. The severity is triggered by chemical exposure and stress. 

You have normal T3 and T4 but high TSH? You have something blocking your thyroxin from being effective. Either high rT3, or antibodies. Most likely antibodies since both are normal and your TSH. The meds can cause high rT3, exposure to mercury can cause high rT3.  Your doctor will treat by giving higher doses of meds to compensate for the bound thyroxin. Unfortunately, this often results in higher and higher doses of meds, because the meds can also result in high rT3 as well as antibodies. So docs generally dose low to try and prevent this problem or curb it.  Medication does nothing to deal with the cause of the disease. 

To deal with the cause of the disease, you have to treat the immune system. Start with eliminating all gluten products from your diet. Also no processed foods,  o artificial colors or preservatives. Everything fresh.  I buy my veggies at the local farmers market so I can see the person who grows them and ask questions about how they’re grown. This way, I have a better chance of actually getting really good quality foods. It helps a lot.

Don’t color or perm your hair if you don’t have to. Avoid smelly cleaners. There was a time when I was extremely sensitive to chlorine bleach and avoided it for a long time. 

Once you’ve eliminated great products (difficult because it’s in everything), eliminate corn products, and other grains as much as you can. The idea is to keep from retriggering your immune system 

Along with this is a healthy gut and healthy elimination. It’s important that your gut is healthy as it is part of the immune system.  It’s also important that your other organs are functioning well so that you get proper nutrition and glimjnate waste- so gallbladder, pancreas, liver, kidneys all need to function well.

• Posted

Wow that was a lot of info and exactly why i joined the group, i wanted to learn from others that have been there.

Thank you very much! If anything else comes to mind please fill me in smile

• Posted

Just noticed a bad autocorrect, should have been gluten, not great. 

You’ll find thyroid patients tend to troubleshoot every aspect of their health, because, as the thyroid goes down, the metabolism slows and the body starts shutting down “nonessential” functions. To try and preserve energy, the body first shuts down other aspects of the hormonal  system,   body temperature lowers to save energy. As the body temp lowers, the gallbladder and liver become sluggish because fats that are metabolized start to harden (due to lower body temp). and clog ducts and the liver in general. The liver becomes sluggish, slowing the blood flow to and from the heart, since the liver filters the blood. Then you get heart palpitations. Meanwhile, with the gallbladder duct jammed from cold hard fat, you can’t get bile  into your gut to digest fats properly. Then, there’s a huge connection between the gallbladder and the pancreas, so when the gallbladder jammed, the digestive enzymes from the pancreas can’t get to the gut. So you pretty much can’t digest anything. Which leads to every gut problem imaginable, malnutrition and diabetes. Meanwhile, your pancreas is still pumping out insulin and digestive enzymes but since they are blocked from the gut by the fat clogging up the common duct (between the gallbladder and pancreas),  the enzymes and insulin back up into the pancreas, causing insulin resistance and the digestive enzymes literally eat up your pancreas. Your gut bloats our with undefeated food, and your starving to death, and toxic and bloated. Pretty soon you can’t digest anything. You’ve got “subclinical” every disease imaginable and your organs don’t work and your body shuts down. 

One of the most important things you can do to maintain health with thyroid disease, is to keep your exercise up. Staying extremely active  goes a long way towards maintaining body functions.

Take good quality vitamin and mineral supplements, stay warm.  Visit saunas and hot tubs frequently- this helps give your body a break by warming things up so things can function normally , if only for a short time.

With thyroid disease, you need to take extremely good care of your body. No more junk food, no binging, no sugary snacks, nothing processed, you MUST get enough protein in your diet. Essential aminos can help supplement and will ease many symptoms of hypothyroid disease. 

Hypothyroid disease slows metabolism, which is basically rapid aging... as we age our metabolism slows, resulting in aging, as cells don’t reproduce and repair as quickly, etc. With thyroid disease, this slow metabolism can age us very rapidly, as our metabolism is like an elderly person’s. 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I sent you some private messages with additional information in case you need it. Hopefully you’ll feel better soon and won’t need all the info I sent, but in case you do, you have it.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I just saw my notifications and am wading through it now. Thanks a million, really it is all very helpful!

I may need to private message back if i have questions, i hope thats okay.

• Posted

OK, so we've established you’e Hypothyroid. Good idea to see if it’s Hashimoto’s because it’s an autoimmune condition and many people advocate diet changes, especially gluten-free. I would quit worrying about the cause. It’s most likely genetic and there is nothing you can do about that. What’s important now is to get the right treatment an maybe try diet changes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.