Newly diagnosed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am newly diagnosed. My Doctor prescribed me with betamethasone cream twice daily for 6 weeks and then taper down to find a maintenance dose. I feel like 6 weeks is too long, has anybody used this cream that long daily?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello sorry you have got LS but welcome . Great ladies and Gents on here full f helpful advice.

Also you will find that 6 weeks is not going to be long enough. 

Most of us keep using to prevent outbreaks .

You get to know the signs of the tingling or maybe itch .

Good luck but it also is quite and individual thing in the way your own body reacts to certain treatments 😉

But do not let it ruin your life we are LS fighters here 👊🏼 

• Posted

Thank you so much, I definitely will not let it ruin my life as I have had the symptoms for a good 6 to 7 years and didn’t know it was anything so knowing what it is now shouldn’t change anything besides going forward and treating it…
  • Posted

Hi Robin, sorry you have this but you do need to follow the initial treatment through. Yes the steroid may thin the skin but you need that to keep fusing to a minimum. This fusing is caused by our skin thickening and sticking to the surrounding areas. Good luck.

• Posted

Do it. Just do not smear on massive amounts! A little goes a long way. I over did at at first and irritated my skin even more. Now I'm 8 weeks in and on the maintenance every 3 days and I once again love my vagine! It's coming back and looking good! (I'm 54) my gynys advice. Use a small amount a bit smaller than a pea start at the top and work your way down. It works!

• Posted

Hi, It all depends on your symptoms.   I'm guessing your itching with white plaques of skin? 

For example, when I visited my gyno years ago I had no itching but I did have the white plaques of skin.  I think I was one of the lucky ones because after ten days the white plaques had completely gone! and so I then reduced it to once a day, then every other day and so on.  

You do really need to be using it while you have the white plaques, and  once they start to go, its a matter of judgement and common sense I think on how often afterwards.  Remember to use a hand mirror and only a small pearl sized amount.

• Posted

Yes I do have the itching and white plaques of skin, I hope I get lucky like you and they go away although the dermatologist told me not to expect the skin to go back to normal, but I will remain hopeful that some coloration may return… I will start the treatment today, how soon do you expect my symptoms should improve?
    • Posted

Hi robin, I dont know how soon you will improve, as we all react differently, but I think if you use the cream twice daily to start and cut out excess sugar then I think you will see an improvement after a couple of weeks and hopefully it will just get better from then on.

You can post on here if you have any other questions.  Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Six weeks is definitely not too long.  Most of us take 4-12 weeks to get symptoms under control, then we start to try to slowly taper down to a couple or three times a week. 
  • Posted

I had a biopsy to confirm the LS. My doc said to get one every yr or 2 as there is a chance it could turn into cancer. Are your docs all telling you to get a biopsy yearly?
    • Posted

Hi Connie, no I have an annual check with my GP and I am vigilant about looking for lumps and sores which don't heal.I have had a biopsy and removal of a lesion which didn't heal over several months. The results came back clear of Cancer but confirmed LS with ulceration. I don't think that it is necessary to have numerous biopsies 'Just in Case'.

• Posted

Hi ann, LS nearly always gives you lumps and bumps and lesions and so your right your cant keep having biopsies for it because that is how LS presents itself with lesions and sores.  When you have sores try to dry them out rather than constantly putting creams and oils on them...it really does work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.