Newly diagnosed

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi .

Went for a laparoscopy yesterday and was told I have endometriosis and they had to do a scrape of tissue while I was under. I'm in shock at the moment. I've had regular periods, if may be a bit heavy but even my gynecologist said before the surgery that I was unlikely to have it because my symptoms didn't "match up". I'm just wondering now about the recovery. I'm in a lot of pain in my lower stomach and have really bad bloating and menstrual like cramps. Is this normal after a laparoscopy? I know I'm only on day 2 but the nurse and doctors were so dismissive after the surgery and did not give me a lot of information so feel like I'm stuck not knowing of this is what the recovery is like . Any advice would be appreciated xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Molly

I've been waiting for someone else to respond, namely someone younger, but ,,, yes, you're bloated after a lap. After they make thir little cuts, they pump gas inside of you to give themselves more room & a better viewing field. There are tricks to help get rid of it more quickly but i've fogotten them (14 yrs since my last lap procedure). If you're still in discomfort, call the doc's/surgeon's office right now & speak to the nurse.

You didn't mention your age. Generally the older you are, the longer it takes to recover from any procedure or surgery. I had my diagnostic lap at 27 & it wasn't much of a problem for me. Ditto for my total hysterectomy about 6 weeks later. But another huge abdominal cut 27 yrs later, again for endo, kept me down a looong time. Can't imagine what it would do now.

Some women only find out they have endo by accident during surgery for other things. Docs can't explain that, nor can i tho i know that we can also have massive arthritis in our bodies without feeling it. They've just attacked some of your innards so there will be some pain.

Docs are often dismissive. Sadly, we must push thru their bad bedside manners to get our questions answered. That's doubly hard while still groggy from a procedure.

I hope you're feeling better.

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for getting back to me . My surgery cut on my belly button became infected and after 3 hours in the emergency doctors I was giving some antibiotics. On day 2 of antibiotics and slight improvement in pain but I suppose it's just a matter of waiting on the tablets to kick in. I'm 30. I'm guessing the reason the pain is lasting longer is the infection I unfortunately gotsad

If you don't mind me asking , was the hysterectomy due to the endometriosis? I've to go see my normal gp next week to find out what stage I am and what treatments I need (she's on holidays till then. How typical) my mind is just going a bit crazy thinking about what is next. Trying not to over think it till I speak to her.

Thanks for getting back to me x

• Posted

That's terrible about the infection but yes, that would make it more painful & make recovery take longer. While i am glad that they can treat it, i would want serious explanation as to how that happened. They're supposed to clean the area before the incision & all the tools are supposed to be clean so ,,, how??? You want answers that make sense before ever letting that doc/surgeon touch you again, & before using the same facility for anything surgical. Look up their records & see if there's a history of surgical infections.

You will also have to pay attention in case this round of antibiotics doesn't clear the infection.

My endo was highly symptomatic. From the time i started looking for explanations to my lap was over 3 years of he^l. The hysterectomy was my idea & i fought hard to get it. When i went into the hospital, the surgery was classed elective but afterward it was classed medically necessary & they had to take everything, a "total" where cervix, ovaries, tubes are taken with uterus.

I doubt that you have to worry about a hysterectomy. Most likely they'll offer you some meds or shots. All those treatments were invented after my hysterectomy so i can't help you. No one can guess exactly what you'll be offered because we don't know what was found.

If possible take someone with you to this appointment. Failing that or even at the same time, record the appointment. There may be a lot of info & it's hard to remember all of it, plus it may get contentious over the infection. If they say the infection came from inside you, tell them to prove it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.