Newly diagnosed acne rosecea

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I've just been told I've got acne rosecea, I have it on my chin, top lip and nostril and under my eyes! I was given dermol 500 to use as a soap and finacea (azelaic acid) gel and lymecycline tablets to take once a day. I started treatment on 23rd of December and to be honest i feel my face is worse! My skin is red and angry and under my eyes it looks like the rash is bigger! Is this something that's to be expected and will it get better?

Does it normally get worse before it gets better? And how long should I expect to see results, also are there any homeopathic remedies that you would recommend?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Katy, I was on Lymecycline, then straight Tetracycline then Oxytetracycline (the primary ingredient for all three being tetracycline) for 2.5 months.  My doctor advised I would need to give it between 2-3 months to see if it would work for me.   Unfotunately, tetracylcine causes flushing in me and my face became very sore so I had to give up and will be trying a cream instead.

So you will probably have to give it longer than just a few days.   Could your face be more sore because of different things you have been eating over the holiday?    My skin reacts to all foods so I have to be careful with diet.    

It's a frustrating business as the medications we are given take so long to kick in and even then we don't know if they are going to help us.   Hope you have success soon.

• Posted

Hi, I'm also newly diagnosed, my GP has started me on metrogel.  She said antibiotics can take months and I have to persevere with the gel for at least a month then go back.  She told me to avoid anything with chemicals in, so I've binned everything in the bathroom cabinet and sourced more natural products.  Even cetaphil has chemicals in, which I've seen talked about lots wrt Rosacea
  • Posted

Hi, unrefined coconut oil really helps with irritation, and is soothing when your skin is red and inflamed. I would start with a food diary to see if something is triggering the condition. I had to stop everything spicy, which was so sad for me I love spicy food. It's been 3 months, and my face isn't red and itchy anymore.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I was given metrogel some years ago now and use it as and when I have a flare up. Also good old calamine lotion when I go to sleep helps calm it down.  Also I have just discovered the best cream....... Dermalex you can get in on line or in Boots.... I brought some yesterday. They do a Rosacea cream (which I have been using) and Eczema creams. They do an Eczema one for kids which I have just brought to try on my son as he gets the redness in his cheeks. I have been using it for a few weeks now as my daily moisturiser. It took a while for my skin to adjust as I need a big blob of cream as my face needs the moisture. But its been great. The redness has really reduced. I was also given a cream on perscription called skinoren cream..... it was too strong for me but if you have the very spotty Rosacea it might help (my mum uses this when she has a spotty flare up). Hope these tips help  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.