newly diagnosed - advice appreciated

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

My husband was just diagnosed this week with prostate cancerBiopsy results indicate:

12 cores taken, 6 are positive for cancer.  

Right apex - 10% occupied

Right base - 30% occupied

Left base - 10% occuied

We are waiting for an appointment to see the oncologist, however, his urologist suggests he should seriously consider surgery.  He is 50.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you so much

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

While prostate cancer is often slow to progress in older men, surgery can have significant side effects — such as the possibility of lifelong erectile dysfunction or chronic urinary incontinence. Though the procedure might differ according to the patient and case. Though consulting for some more prostate cancer treatment options in New York(http://advancedradiationcenters.com/cancer/prostate-cancer/ ) should be beneficial. try to have a brief discussion with the oncologist, so that you can take a decision positively. Though other prostate cancer treatment options are radiation therapy, immunotherapy or proton therapy.

• Posted

Hi willie93634,  I just had my prostate surgery 7 days ago.  Out of the 12 cores taken for my biopsy, only 1 showed positive for cancer.  My urologist also suggested surgery because of the aggressiveness of the cancer.  However he did go over all my other options.  There is a test to show how aggressive his cancer is.  Once that is known then you should go over all your options.  Good luck
    • Posted

thanks for sharing - please, what is the name of that test for aggressiveness?
  • Posted

Update:  Saw the radiation oncologist yesterday.  Indicated that while the biopsy results suggest low grade, based on the volume, rise in PSA and my age, it is considered intermediate.  He recommended robotic surgery based on this criteria.  See the surgeon tomorrow.  So looks like a bit of a journey for the next few months....
  • Posted

First step is to take a deep breath and consider the options before making a decision you might later regret. Time is very much on your side; the word cancer strikes fear into most people and they often act irrationally. Firstly, look at survival rates which should put your mind at ease. Then, do research - there are plenty of good books out there and websites - I found prostatediaries useful as it is by an American urologist who was diagnosed with the disease. It gives excellent tips on which form of treatment would suit your husband. You should also evaluate other results - PSA (doubling time, reading), DRE findings etc., PIRADS score.

​I opted for IMRT (in the UK) and I am pleased with the outcome. Please read the comments of those who chose RP.

​I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hello again

More confused than ever. On Monday the radiation oncologist says must be treated recommends surgery. Today see the surgeon who says "surgery will be needed at some point may be 3 years from now but let's do MRI. If you think you want the surgery I will do it." So now what?? Feeling worse now then when first diagnosed with the contradictory messages.

• Posted

Wait and see what the PSA results are over the next year or so.
    • Posted

MRI before decision to do surgery, for sure!! if you can get 3T MRI, even better. google these things, research research research!!
  • Posted

I have had 6 years on Active Surveillance and would still be on it, but I got Prostatitis so bad that the prostate has swollen and regularly blocks my passage of water. In 11 weeks am having Prostate removed by Robotic surgery. Just take your time and research and study the best way to go, I found in the early days you get everything thrown at you and you can easily make a quick and maybe wrong decision.  Good luck with your decision making.

David

• Posted

If that was me, I'd be on active waiting and getting my psa test every year.

Surgery is the wrong option

• Posted

pretty sure the PSA will be on the way out, within the year. 4K score and other blood/urine tests will replace it, but that's just an informed guess. i could be wrong.

• Posted

Davey,   I have given A/S a good try but have been in hospital so many times i am now treated as a regular !. Have had Sepsis from Biopsies, a TURP 2 years ago and my Prostate has totally grown back again. I have self catheterised until I could not get them in, it takes 2 Nurses normally to get a 16 catheter in as smaller ones bypass, my District Nurse won't even attempt to change one. Never been more than 3 months without a urine infection and I need a new knee which cannot be done with any infection, but clear just now and hope that is being done in next few weeks with prostate removal in 10 weeks.  Years ago had bowel problems so can't have any laser therapy. It is my request to have it done and all the medics reckon it is the only way to go, as everything else has been tried plus there is cancer there anyway.

David

• Posted

sounds like me, with 11 other co-morbidities. where's God when you need him? rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.