Newly diagnosed and at college

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed a couple weeks ago. It has been incredibly hard to manage everything. Especially my new medication. Plus I am starting my second year of college. Which along with being excited for I am scared. I am just figuring out how to handle everything. I kind of expected everything to come together but it's a lot harder than I expected. Last night I went to night at 7 because I was so tired. I feel bad because all of friends are going out and having fun and I'm just trying to stay up past 9. I kind of expected I guess to get on my medication and feel automatically better but that is not exactly what is happening. Plus I am on prednisone which makes my emotions go completely crazy and makes me so much more emotional about small stuff then I expected. Also it has been harder than ever for me to able to talk to my friends especially about anything involving my UC. I don't know how to tell them that I was so tired I can barely keep my eyes open or that I can't come out tonight because I don't feel good. I'm just trying to figure out how to handle everything and definitely how to be less tired; any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there Jane. You are on the right medication to get it under control fast, but it still takes time. I have had this disease since I was about 16 and I am now 48. There will be many ups and downs with it. You are lucky that you can sleep. I am usually in so much pain that I can't and after being up for two days or so I will finally crash and sleep. You will have to take care of yourself and just give your body what it needs and if that is sleep then, so be it. You also need to make sure you are getting proper nutrients, so make sure your doctor is doing blood work to see if you are low on any vitamins or minerals. During my current flare I am low on Vitamin D, B12, potassium and protein. So even with UC you can be low on vitamins. I may have Crohn's disease, but I have never been officially told that. Please take it easy and ask your friends to be understanding and supportive. You really need those support networks now more than ever. This is when you find who your true friends are. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I will help as much as I can.

• Posted

Sadly, tiredness is part of this disease! My only way of coping is getting out in the fresh air, pushing myself to exercise and drinking lots of water! That helps me with my tiredness but I really have to push myself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.