Newly diagnosed and feeling overwhelmed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm waiting for my first rheumatology appointment in a couple of days and feeling really apprehensive and a little scared. Been very recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis by my doc after severe pain came on suddenly in multiple joints. Could barely walk or use my hands for a couple of days. Been a gutatte psoriasis sufferer for 9 years now and in middle of full body flare up ( light treatment not really working as new lesions still appearing). My pain seems to move around my body so been mainly in right shoulder for last week but also in knees sometimes, hip and feet but each day can be different. Is this normal for this disease? I never know from one day to next what I will be like. Anxious about having to take medication long term as I also suffer from IBS and naproxen is causing me probs. I'm only 42 with two young children but feel 82 and wonder what the future holds for me. Any advice on how to stay strong and positive?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Angela22608 yes it it quite common for you to feel pain in multiple joints but the pain normally stays for some time I am in the middle of a flare up now and my knee is awful I can barely walk I am 27 and have had psoriatic arthritis for the past 6 years it is such an awful disease to have and so debilitating also. I have recently been put on methotrexate to try to manage my flare ups but my advice is to research psoriatic arthritis there are lots of forums like this one and also a good support group on Facebook family and friends are also a good thing to have around you as it can literally take over your life and make you feel alone I'm also always here for a chat if u need it but I would definitely research it and explain everything in detail to your rheumatologist also if your not in pain when your appointment comes round still go as it can take months for another one I hope you find a bit of info that helps you feel a bit better about it all xxx

• Posted

Hi Jasmine, thanks for your reply. It's so helpful to hear from someone else. I have since had my first rhuematology apt and been put on steroids, due to start on methotrexate soon. Im trying really hard to carry on with my normal life but at present my feet are so painful I can barely walk. I seem to get pain in a couple of areas of my body at a time which stay for a week or so then move on to somewhere else then back again. It's so unpredictable. You say you are having a flare up! What does this mean? When it passes are you symptom free for a period of time? I have been in constant daily pain for about 6 weeks now since it came on really suddenly and just wondering if this is a flare up and when it might pass. Do some people just have it as a constant? I just don't know what to expect for the future. Hoping the rheumatology nurses will be able to answer some of my questions when I see them next week. Take care Angela x

• Posted

Hi Angela been having joint problems and pain for last few years and psoriasis years ago and suddenly had flare up over last 6 months of psoriasis my gp put it down to menopause issues ,but suddenly had swelling to both hands and feet seen a different gp and said he thinks it psoriatic arthritis awaiting appointment for rheumatologist feeling slightly worry about situation it must be very difficult with young children having to cope with all this x

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I first had psoriatic arthritis 10 years ago, painful knees, really hurt to walk or put any pressure on them, I was put on methotrexate, fortunately I did not have a problem with it, although a bit apprehensive, after taking it for a while, a great improvement, I was only on it for a couple of years and everything was fine, back to normal. In December 2015, I had a tumble indoors, the psoriatic arthritis flared up, when I went to rheumatology I thought I would go back on methotrexate, but the rheumatologist wanted to give injections, which just give me 10 weeks of walking properly last year, the knees just got worst, but I knew next appoinment I was going to ask for methotrexate, which I have been taking for just over 4 months. I can now walk about more indoors, even ventured to the garden and can get up some steps, It might take some time, but I have every  faith in methotrexate. It might not suit you, but there will be something help you, I try and be positive and hope in things get better the next few months. Once you have seen the rheumatologist, they will be able to suggest a lot of medicines to help and find one to suit you, it can get better.   Good luck,

Maureen

• Posted

Switching diet really key. Research diets plant based with some fish.

Keep alkaline lots water. No sugar Ahcc vitamin D serrapeptase , C niacin, boneup for starters. Dr Max Gerson a cancer therapy fifty case histories. Even if you don't have cancer this diet will restore balance.

• Posted

Naproxen made me ill.  I insisted on being returned to my original NSAID as they put me on Naproxen as part of their efforts to save money.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.