Newly diagnosed and T score -5.009 with two fractures Advice pleeeese!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was with my elderly mother at her regular bone scan and as she has severe osteoporosis the nurse explaining her score turned to me and said you should get a scan too as its highly genetic. I was firm at my next hospital appointment with the endocrinologist as i have auto immune thyroiditis that I needed a scan he was reluctant but agreed and i got a bone scan 

Yes turns out I have osteoporosis too and my scores are 

Spine  T score -5.oo9        Z score -4.098

Right hip neck of femur   T score -1.614    Z score -0.638

I have DV7 Grade 2 morphometric fracture 

LV3 Grade 1 morphometric fracture 

I have now been taking Alenronic acid for three weeks and Vit D3( invita D3)

I have always exercised , walked, done zumba and yoga for years and also swam but I know thats not weight bearing. 

i was shocked to say the least I have had disc problems in the past and thought the pain in my back was due to this reoccuring although the usual swimming had not helped it as it normally does and i had seen my Gp who did say I think ts something else but didnt know what and referred me to physio who said my back muscles were completely  out of alignment and gave me exercises which did help.No one knew it had fractured. I am guessing its down to genetics and my thyroid which is difficult to manage at times.

Any advice on scores or words of encouragement on getting my score improved gratefully received. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just recently an interesting discussion about osteoporosis drugs has been going on at healthunlocked website.  It's in the polymyalgia forum.  There are always ongoing discussions but this one has some useful links: Bone density medications - an interesting review article

• Posted

This is for Anhaga as I cannot seem to get the reply button to work.

You have been a godsend in this forum for a long time now.

Your expertise as a librarian has been invaluable.

Everyone has benefitted from your many hours of scholarly research.

Sometimes it is hard to get recognised for things we do to help people.

Research is invaluable. The internet is amazing.

You can now type in a few key words and read many varied sources but what we need from people like you is the knowledge and expertise to sift through the myriad of information and critique it. Some sources are more reliable than others.

I have that ability too as a teacher but also as a person who studied at Masters and even PhD level. With the latter I was unable to publish as I had to leave one state and go to another to help a grandchild. But I have written and presented.

I know what a librarian is and what you have done and am appreciative of your endeavours to inform everyone how critical it is to research before taking any of the drugs. 

That is the purpose of the internet.

And maybe you can get into more sites than non librarians can including me.

Thank you for all you do Anhaga.

• Posted

No one is criticising Anhaga. Most of us appreciate all her input to this forum and many times I have written thanking her. No one is telling you you should take the meds, but there are several people who read reviews printed here who are afraid to voice their opinion because it is often so bias, against the meds. Yes you were a teacher and I was a nurse. So what. We both have osteoperosis and are dealing with it the way we have chosen to deal with it. Anhaga has never had osteoperosis and if I had been in her position, I certainly would not have taken the meds. I am working just as hard as anyone with my diet and exercise along with taking the meds. But this is my choice. When Anhaga improved her score, many people congratulated her on this forum.  When I improved mine, I recieved 4 private msgs. Nothing from anyone on the forum. So come on Kathleen. We all have the same goal. Encourage each other, at different stages of this condition rather than condem some of us because we don't agree with you.

• Posted

Thanks Kathleen.  I have to say that all I have that some of your others may not have learned yet is when I was at work we were trained how to recognize websites that could be trusted, and weed out those which might be questionable.  This is not 100% foolproof, but it does help.  It's absolutely amazing how much information is on the internet now.  And I note that with its recent changes Patient doesn't seem to block links from nih (national institutes of health) any more, awaiting moderation.  So I think you can take that as assurance that anything published through nih is going to be valid.  It's also good to look at dates.  Something published in 2000 might have been superseded by additional research since then.  Or, possibly, validated further.  

So one of the things I do is, there are "popular" websites where people who may or may not be qualified or who may or may not be seeking to make money from vulnerable people, and anything you read on sites like that needs to be checked against the research.

• Posted

The only reason people reacted as they did to my experience is because it's considered by medical establishment not to be possible to increase bone density without drugs. This in spite of research showing otherwise. And of course we are all pleased for you and for anyone who improves their bones, with or without drugs, without any adverse side effects.

Peace!

• Posted

My "experts" spent lots of time with me and other ladies in the same position as myself pushing the importance of diet and exercise and lifestyle changes eg stopping smoking. It is truly awful if professionals are saying it will make no difference to people with OP or LBM. I have never experienced this.

My husband too has been trained in "fake" sites and what to look out for on the internet. He can tell a mile off even before I open anything. I respect peoples choices and I am not bias, one way or the other. Perhaps sometimes, quotes written on this forum are from people who are angry because the route they have chosen is not working for them. But, I repeat, your contribution to this forum is very much appreciated by me and many others. Our aims should be the same. Encourage and support everyone, however they choose to deal with their condition. Sympathise when they have a bad day or just want to vent and congratulate everyone when they make even the smallest progress. I hope you agree.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.