Newly diagnosed: book recommendations please?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, was diagnosed a couple of months ago and have started Hydroxychloroquine and Methotrexate. Now I'm starting to get my head around things a bit I'm starting to think about lifestyle changes I could make to help myself.

Specifically, been feeling really run down, I realise this is just part of the condition but think I'm going to start juicing to try and get more vitamins into myself. II'm not too bad at eating healthily but feel my appetite's not the best right now.

Could anyone recommend a book or give me any tips about ingredients that are good to try for RA?

Also, have any of you tried Curcumin etc? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry you're having to deal with this. You probably know you need folic acid on methotrexate. Other than that, everyone is different so you need to find the diet that works for you.

Vitamin D is really important, especially at this time of year and especially for people with musculoskeltal problems.

Lots of people will tell you that a gluten-free diet will help, or turmeric will relieve your pain. Neither did anything for me.

I cut out sugar because I felt it exacerbated flares, although eliminating it doesn't prevent them. I also find a diet high in Omega 3 has made a difference. And generally, just eating well and avoiding processed foods helps. I don't think that's due to any ingredients, but just staying generally healthy. 

But  don't pin your hopes on a miracle diet just because someone else says it worked for them.

As well as diet, it's really important to keep moving. Even when you don't feel like it, gentle exercise every day is the best thing you can do to help yourself.

One last thing - blending is better than juicing (e.g. in a Nutri-Bullet) as you get all of the good stuff and they are so much easier to clean!

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, thanks a lot for this. Yeah I feel that I should try and be as healthy as I can with my diet etc but I'm trying not to get my hopes up that it will do that much in terms of an improvement.

Thanks for the tip about the Vitamin D, I think I'll get some multivitamins as well, I have grand plans about juicing/smoothies but it's takes a fair bit of effort, esp when you're shattered after work!

All the best for the New Year

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.