Newly diagnosed, can't even drown my sorrows!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and started on methotrexate. Before I took my first dose, I read the patient info leaflet and discovered no alcohol allowed. My rheumatologist failed to mention that. Given I'd given it up for about 5 of the last 8 years due to 4 pregnancies and just recently returned to socializing like an adult, this was almost as bad as hearing of the diagnosis itself. I'm in a country where I could fairly easily move to biological but I'm nervous about the side effects. I'm fairly mild right now, 1 knuckle, 1 knee and 1 toe affected but ok on NSAIDs. I would like something that prevents bone changes so I'd like to stay on treatment but I'm young enough to be embarrassed about telling people why I can't indulge in a bottle of wine with them at dinner etc. So I've a few questions for you all

1) would you recommend the sulfa one instead?

2) would you try to go to a biologic and if so which one

3) I can't seem to get an answer to 6 months on and 3 months off treatment (for sake of liver, cancer and other nasty side effects)?

Thanks so much. Having a hard time with the diagnosis so it's nice to find a group of people going thru it too.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed in my late 20s, I am 43 now and was on methotrexate for a long time and only came off couple of years ago due to moving area and having issues trying to get it off the new GP. To be honest it helped control it and I had regular blood tests to make sure everthing internally was ok, I've had a bad flare up recently as like I said haven't been taking it lately, I will be  going back on it on my next visit to the hospital. I drank alcohol and it didn't effect me anyway so I don't think you will have much of a problem. Also I lost a lot of weight and found it helped so much and I'm not suggesting you need to but generally stating this. I hope everything works out for you, stay positive, I am single mother of 2 girls and I work, I don't let it get me down and still run around doing normal day to day things. smile

• Posted

I'm a 57 year old woman and PSA officially became part of my life a few months ago. cry  

I've been on Mtx for 10 weeks.  The no drinking has been hard especially in social situations for me too. I must admit, I do have 1 to 3 light alcohol drinks over a weekend period.  (Light beer, watered down mixed drinks or wine with ice.)  The drinks are always chased with lots of water.  Not sure if the water really helps and would love to hear your feedback on this.  My blood work was done two weeks ago. I haven't heard from the drs office so it must be okay.  I suppose, it's different for everyone.

• Posted

My commiserations! Not a diagnosis anyone would want (if they even understood it! So many dont! 

I've been through this process and It gets easier to not drink as time progresses, although if someone out a glass of champagner in my hand I was likely to drink it!

What is your current dose of MTX? Probaly a low one 10 or 15 mgs? At 10 weeks is there any sign of it working in improving matters? If not your Rheumatologist will seek to increase your dose slowly over time to acheive the desired effect.

Beware a few drinks over the weekend could be the thin end of the wedge for your liver. The poor liver has to cope with quite a toxic drug and alcohol will make its life more difficult especially as the dose increases. Best if you limit the alcohol and spread it out over time - not all at the weekend.

There are benefits. Looking back I can say I was drinking way too much alcohol. I felt better without it after while but I did indulge in a glass of wine periodically and found I did not need it in the way I used too anymore. So I think what I'm trying to say... is stop alcohol, give the drug a chance to work unobstructed and then indulge in the odd drink.. it does get better honest!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.