Newly diagnosed coeliac

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed coeliac via a blood test. I am having a gastroscopy next week. I have received a letter from my consultant and was wondering if anyone could help me understand the doctor terminology?

coeliac serology checked which came back as weakly positive with tissue transglutaminase antibody

levels of 6.0 and endomysial iG antibody was weakly positive

Any help would be appreciated, thank you 😃

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shannon, well if you need advice on being coeliac you've come to the right place! I was diagnosed 3/4 years back after a long battle and insistance I had IBS. I can not begin to think I am an expert on coeliac disease but I know something - a diagnosis is just that! If they say coeliac disease you must have had some sort of tests? At the doctors or hospital? What were they and before they said this did you have any clue? I think they don't normally get this sort of diagnosis wrong. If you contact someone called coeliac UK online, explain what you've said on here and tell them you've just been diagnosed they will definitely help you understand what you've been sent. I think you can email them too. I hope you get the information you need. Don't forget one thing check out anything you're eating or have in your house that has gluten in it. Either give it away or let someone else eat it, oh and buy a toaster just for you, they're the worst things for cross contamination. 🤞😁❤️

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have only had a blood test so far (endoscopy today and a pending bone scan too). The blood test was what showed I had tested positive for coeliac disease. I went to the doctors initially as I was always feeling quite sick after eating and I was struggling with really bad bloating!

• Posted

Hi Shannon, it sounds like something is a miss, either you have IBS or yes you're right you could have Coeliac disease. I would keep asking questions but as you've had some markers for coeliac disease, they will probably now want biopsies and a camera test. I hope you get to the bottom of this, good luck, let us know how you get on? 🤞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.