Newly diagnosed diverticular disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone I'm just looking for some advice for my dad. He has been suffering with problems now for over a year bad stomach loosing alot of weight ect doctors gave him laxatives, fibre vitamins and he did everything asked of him and still suffered. finally hes had a a procedure due to a lump on the colon the doctor found on examination and thought it was cancer but has been diagnosed with diverticular disease and the doctors have said theres nothing they can do and its something he has to live with. he had no dietary sheets or anything like that I've been searching the internet for hours and found he needs to eat a high fibre diet. The symptoms he has is feeling the need to go to the toilet and can be on there hours and do nothing, he gets bad stomach, alot of bloating, lost alot of weight, bleeding after going to the toilet and sorry for the tmi but is suffering piles constantly which again the doctor wont help with. his job doenst help as he does heavy lifting and as this is all new to him I'm trying to find as much information as I can. hes been in some states with this going to work bleeding, in constant pain and having to run to the toilet if he feels the need to go. ive brought him fibre vitamins which didnt help. hes begged the doctors for over a year to help him and now hes finally got a diagnosis we dont actually know what to do. thankyou.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi i have just been diagnosed with diverticular after a colonoscopy i also suffered like your dad. what worked for myself i cut out all fats ie.butter cheese ect. also white flour. be carefull with batter on fish .eat apples ,pears & dried apricots are excellent plus water and none caffeinated drinks .i sometimes take a buscopan to ease the pain as they relax the bowel.i have a hospital app this wk to discuss the changes to my bowel i hopefully i will have some answers. good luck to your dad as its hard to explain to anyone who doesn't suffer with the condition

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.