Newly diagnosed diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am obese and needed to lose weight so 4 weeks ago started the cambridge diet. After a couple of days of 4 products per day plus pint of milk and over 2 ltres of water per day, felt bloated and pain in lower central abdomen. Was told this could be due to all the nutrients being packed into these products and that it would calm down. My bowel habits changed obviously but never felt empty! Anyway the pain intensified into the r8ght side. I had horrible taste 8n mouth anyway from being on a no carb diet. (Have lost nearly 2 stone in 4 weeks). We nt to gp who sent me immediately to hospital where a very good dr spotted something on my xray and sent for ct scan wh8ch showed diverticulitis. Put me on a drip and started 2 lots of antibiotics ciprox and meta chloprimide. I felt awful on them

I was discharged by surgeon who wants me lose weight! And wants me to have a colonoscopy in 6 weeks. Meanwhile discharged on antibiotics and paracetamol. I didnt know what to do re diet but when desperate had eggs and rice cakes. Tuna and marmite on rice cakes. Did have apples as they settled my tummy. Now back on the cambridge diet day 2 and the central abdo pain is back. I havent had diarrhoea so greatful. In retrospect I did have a bleed but was small and thought it might be my period. Im 56 and still having periods. I also think back and I did have pains before the diet but put it down to toomuch food! The pains today lasted 3 hours this morning after my breakfast shake and for last 3 hours approx after tea time bar. Not sure what to do re diet. Dont want to put weight on. Also is the pain just something I have to put up with? Not feeling nauseous but no appetite. Anyone out there with any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am following the Ketogenic Way of eating and think it’s heping my acid reflux and diverticulitis! I make my own bone broth by cooking bones in crock pot for 24 hours - it’s very soothing on the stomach!

I also quit taking omezprazole so dealing with those withdrawals! Milk is quite inflammatory for some as well as all dairy! There is a ton of info on the Keto diet on line. Good luck! Sorry you are suffering so!

• Posted

Thank you jennifer, Im wondering if the milk and milk products are a problem and also all the sweetners used.

• Posted

Did you do liquids only for at least 2 days to give colon a rest? Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis is a great spot to start for your diet plan. No dairy or those health drinks, like ensure, unless it’s the clear ones. Soft low soluable foods for at least 3 weeks. No raw veggies, fried foods, or processed foods. Do a good probiotics for sure. Tylenol and heating pad and Bentyl for spasms and discomfort it’s a prescription. The antibiotics make you feel worse, so rest and drink lotsa water Gatorade pedialyte and organic beef or chicken bone broth. I had no appetite either and lost 40 lbs in 5 months due to this . So follow the Diverticulitis diet so important. Slowly add foods back in after a couple weeks, like chicken and fish. Baby food texture on veggies. Cream of wheat is good. Eggs. Hope this helps. Best wishes 🙏🌺🌸

• Posted

I did then made clear veg soup and had eggs and tuna!!! And felt fine. I drink a lot of water. I also had rice cakes with marmite and felt ok. Ive just had my evening bar and Im feeling sweaty even with a fan on! I will look at the mayo clinic diet. Thank you.
  • Posted

Somebody mentioned in our forum and I am very thankful for it: keeping daily list of each food or drink you take. This is very help to me every single day.
  • Posted

I have just had this and it was horrible pain and felt so sick on antibiotics.  I also take warfarin so some natural remedies wont help me.  Does anyone else take warfarin and have diverticulitis
  • Posted

I wonder if the Cambridge Diet is too severe for your insides in their current state.  Did you take medical advice before starting it, as that is recommended here in the UK?  I don't know where you are based, but I am following WeightWatchers Online, making sure I stick to the blander softer foods and small portions, with lots of water.  I can't take gluten or full fat so have cut them out of my diet.  Most people with this condition are scared to eat and find weight drops off them.  I find I too get reluctant to eat when I am having niggles.  Best wishes

• Posted

I didnt take drs advice. It was going on the diet that highlighted it. I like not having to think about food lol thats why it was easy to do. Today I feel good lots of energy but have kept off the milk. There is milk proteins in the products. Im going to see how their soup goes then if that causes probs I will go onto a bland diet. I just dont want to put on weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.