Newly diagnosed- flare up or stomach bug?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, both new to this forum and newly diagnosed (3 months) I have suffered years with both flare ups of constipation and diarrhea. Normally with a flare up I have loose watery stools once and then my stomach is fine again, but over the past few days every time I eat (anything) I have had watery stools straight after but otherwise feeling completely fine.

because of this I took Imodium yesterday. The watery stools have stopped now but my stomach is gurgling really loudly pretty much most of the day and I feel as if I need to poop but nothing is coming out. For the people who do suffer with IBS does this sound more like a flare up or just some kind of stomach bug I picked up? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Eleanor

You could be telling my current condition exactly - and I have been asking the same question 'flare -up or  stomach bug' Mine started last friday and as I had a bit of a temp I concluded the latter - a bad flare up of my ibs due to a virus - there's a lot of them about.  I don't really know and the mysteries of ibs continue.  Colpermin and silicogel have helped a bit. Sorry not to be more helpful but your description of what you are experiencing mirrors mine exactly. Have never had such bad gurgling !! Best wishes.

• Posted

Yeah it’s not great...I think people around me are beginning to wonder if my poor stomach is about to explode with the amount of noise it is making
  • Posted

Hi Eleanor, ooph that doesn't seem nice, what have you done? Sounds like ibs to me but then I'm no expert, you may need to get that checked out.  Are you really stressed out?  Have you eaten something you shouldn't?  Have you got other symptoms?

• Posted

Hi there I haven’t really done much about it as it’s not having too much affect apart from people getting sick of hearing my stomach gurgling. 

Not stressed out and no other symptoms. The only thing I can really think of is that I had a curry from a takeaway last week (but never normally causes me problems) 

• Posted

It sounds like a flare up.  Try a food diary or the Fodmap diet to see if any food is triggering symptoms.  Bowel habits can change frequently with IBS.  Do you have stomach pain that moves about?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.