Newly diagnosed....help needed.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi iam new to the page, and am recently diagnosed with DD. Ihad a ct scan to diagnose, but dont see the consultant for another 3 weeks. My question is how do people cope with this. Iam becoming increasingly worried at "being caught short"....i get a sudden pain in my stomach and need to go asap. I can be at the loo for up to half an hour at a time, and some times im just passing brown water. When im in the house, i dont aiways  make it to the loo in time, so im scared to go out....just in case. So, are these normal symptoms, is there any protection i can get to save embarrasment, and is there any light at the end of the tunnel. It doesnt seem to matter what i eat, im like it most of the time. Iam also diabetic. Not sure if this has anything to do with  this. Please help......

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds as if you need a long course of antibiotics. I had a 14 day course of Metronidazole to bring my initial attack under control. Your regular Dr is the best one to advise.
  • Posted

I am exactly the same as you. Most of my mornings are spent on the loo.

I am sometimes caught short too. I have just accepted it as part of the condition . Perhaps I could do something but I don't know what, it makes no difference what I eat.

Some days are better than others.

• Posted

Hello Christine, I am wondering if you are in US, as at least you are going to get to see a Consultant. I was diagnosed by Colonoscopy (in U.K.) two years ago, but have never been offered professional help.  You will get some fantastic help from fellow sufferers on this forum. I read something helpful every day, but am nowhere near knowledgeable enough to advise. I am Type 2 diabetic, but I don’t really think that has any link to my DD problems. I’ve had a few flare ups which involved terrible pain on my left hand side, bearing down ache low into my groin, and urgent ‘liquid’ diarrhoea. These times I’ve either gone to hospital or just my Doctor, and had anti biotics, (which cause me diarrhoea anyway). Other attacks are ‘just’ diarrhoea and feeling generally unwell. It lasts, each time about 7 to 10 days. I do liquids only diet for 3 to 4 days then gradually introduce light foods. I have to use pants type protective wear to catch my accidents, so like you, I dare not go out. I have no idea what causes my attacks, although I do keep a food diary, and when I am ill, I keep a complete diary of every detail of my days. I am beginning to suspect that stress can have a real effect on my symptoms. So it really becomes a vicious circle! 

You will receive some really good suggestions on here re liquid diet etc. I do make my own chicken/carrot consommé soup, which I freeze in small quantities, and I also use some canned chicken broths. I have herbal teas,  mashed banana, pro biotic yoghurt, sugar free jelly, and somehow I survive, haha....I do hope you soon feel better, and I shall follow your post with interest, because I am still learning...

• Posted

Hi for pro biotic yoghurt try Kefir. I make a 250ml bottle last 3 days. Find this to be a big help.Get your Gp to do a blood test and see if you are lacking any vitamins such D

• Posted

Hello Christine, To add to my post yesterday, I also take Acidophilus (with pectin), Mega potency, every day, whether I’m ill or not. It was recommended on here by someone whose opinion I rate highly. The gaps between my attacks have definitely increased since I’ve been taking them. I hope you are feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.