Newly diagnosed HH with C282y

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all...I am very scared. I do not know how long I have had this since my last dr was an idiot. I have elevated liver enzymes but all she wanted to know was how much I drank...I had quit 4 yrs prior. She never looked into it further. Fast forward to 2 months ago my new dr didn't like my levels and sent me for more tests which led me to a hematologist. I have now been diagnosed with HH C282y. My ferritin levels are 3240..yes thats THREE THOUSAND. I had an ultrasound and it showed clear, my blood tests show no signs of tissue damage, no cancer, BUT she still wants me to get a biopsy. I also have to have phlebotomies every week with 500-750 ml taken. I can only handle 600. I feel very tired after. I have heard of people having heart attacks from this and their levers were like 1500. I'm double that! I literally have to drain blood to save my life. I'm getting supplements ( tumeric, calcium, green tea and milk thistle) and going to add baby asprin as a daily pill pack. Anyone else using these and have they helped? Anyone had levels as high as mine? Again, I'm very scared ! Am I going to die? I'm not even 50 yet!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have your calcium, green tea and dairy foods with meals for them to be effective.  I take 100mg aspirin to thin my blood after many years of venesections have made my veins go on strike.  There was a bonus as it had beneficial effects of releasing stagnant iron which made me feel lighter, walk faster, reduced body pain and get more done in a day.

But I was at maintenance level, so talk to your dr about the aspirin because your ferritin levels are still so high - probably not a problem but best to check.

• Posted

I actually am on maintainance also. I am am just looking to see if anyone has any other helpful ideas. I have researched till I’m blue in the face.. the doctors don’t advise on anything but phlebodomies, I haven’t had one in 9 months. I read about cabbage, but who knows.. thank you for the response. 
    • Posted

Barb, forget the cabbage - just eat it.  There is no other treatment for haemochromatosis so far except phlebotomies.  Researchers in Australia are trialling a synthetic hepcidin to replace our hepcidin that does not turn on to turn off the iron absorption.

If it works, there will be a time lag before the powers that be will allow it to be used. The chemical chelators are only for those people who just cannot have phlebotomies and they have side effects.

Prof Pierre Bristol's research team recommend CoQ10 and Vit E to help repair the mitochondria damage that occurs from having high TS% for more than 6 years after de-ironing.

It is not recommended to reduce your intake of iron from natural foods - but avoid fortified foods and iron supplements.  Sugar and starchy carbohydrates cause fatty liver which raises your ferritin levels.

It is best to keep having venesections at regular intervals - don't let drs wait till you get a high level and order a phleb ad hoc, especially if you are C282Y/C282Y.  Unless you are H63D/H63D which normally eventually really slows down after de-ironing.  Even C282Y/H63D needs regular phlebs but perhaps 4 or more months apart.

So, for a long while, we are stuck with phlebotomies, and each time, I consider myself lucky it is not chemo.

If you are having HH symptoms which you just cannot get past, let us know.

There are no sure fire answers but there could be things you could try.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl when does "de ironing"start my ferritin level is now 122 from 3900

Thx Johan

• Posted

I think it depends on the doctor and the overall numbers.. my ferritin is 5, but my doctor doesn’t base it on just that. 
    • Posted

Hi Barb

I live in Africa still to meet a doctor that understands the HH condition.Battle to get phlebotomies done as the general comment is my ferritin level is within the acceptable range .Fortunately have access to reliable blood testing facilities .

So the question remains when will I know I am de ironed.

• Posted

Hi, I live in Texas, I was told I was de ironed about 9 months ago. I’ve never gotten a definitive answer to what he bases it on, but I still have to watch what I eat. 

I know the hemoglobin is a big deal and also the hematocrit, it’s very frustrating so I feel your pain. Hang in there.. 

• Posted

All medical research says that ferritin of <50 is being 'de-ironed'.  Then you can find your optimal level at which you feel best.  You may have to make notes about how you feel post vx and before you next one is due.

If your TS% continues to be high, and you still feel not your best, then be persistent with 3 monthly venesections.  You might have to find some medical research to support your case.  Google "long term high TS%" and read Prof Pierre Brissot's research, print it and take to your dr.

• Posted

I had forgotten about the following page - I always used to refer people to it.

I cannot give you the direct address but google "Iron Disorders Institute", then click on Helpful Forms and Charts, then click on Haemochromatosis Reference Charts.  Print and also take to your dr - page two is the most important one for him.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, I just check the website you mentioned.. the iron disorders ins, they sell a vitamin called iron block.. I read a little about it, have you taken it or know anything about it? 
    • Posted

Gosh no - I am totally surprised - I think the Iron Disorders website has been shanghaid.  I could not find any stand alone support by Iron Dis Inst for this product.

I might be wrong but there is definitely no medical research that writes of it.  I get notices of new reports by reputable researchers sent to me.  It might be calcium tablets that you can get much cheaper elsewhere.  They are also talking about a component of eggs, so maybe we should eat more eggs.

Just keep having venesections - they are the only medically supported way of treating haemochromatosis successfully.

I am going to a conference late August, so I shall ask about it.

• Posted

I know I looked at the ingredients and have no idea what they are.. I am going to google them. I use calcium and tumeric also tumeric cream, but those I understand???
    • Posted

I believe these pills are mainly tumeric.. 
    • Posted

Tumeric is an anti-inflammatory.  Some people swear taking that has reduced their ferritin.  This would be only if their elevated ferritin was caused by inflammation.  Once the inflammation goes, even if it is a just a cold, elevated ferritin caused by this inflammation, will drop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.