Newly diagnosed HSV

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with herpes 2 -- I thought I was suffering a bad yeast infection and UTI, but turns out it was this.  I'm looking for any kind of advice or comfort I can at this point.  As I am sure many of you were in the beginning, I am still in shock and not handling this very well.  I've been told that the first OB is the worst and it gets better from there.  Based on your experience do you think that is true?  How many OB's have you had since your initial one? My doctor told me that it's possible never to have another one, or on average some people have about 4 per year.  I know everyone's body reacts differently to this, but I think hearing directly from more people that actually have it would help me understand.  Did you end up getting on acyclovir on a daily basis as a preventive measure?  Do you think that helped? My first OB is lasting quite a while because I did have swollen lymph nodes.  Luckily I didn't have any visible sores in the vaginal area, but I almost wonder if I have some internally because I bleed at weird times.  My lymph nodes have gone down a lot, so I feel better in that sense--but now it seems the inner labia are more red than normal and I still have slight discomfort there.  Not sure if that is related, or if herpes OB's can possibly cause BV?   I appreciate any and all feedback!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

I totally understand what you are feeling. I was devastated when I was first diagnosed. However it does get better, and soon you will realize it is just not that big of a deal. For me, my first outbreak was incredibly painful. My OBGYN diagnosed me with both a UTI and HSV-2 at the same time. I did have sores/ ulcers down there that were incredibly painful, spent the whole week in either the tub or bed. But the good news is that recurring outbreaks tend to not be as bad.  I think I just have a weak immune system because I had 2 more outbreaks within the first month of diagnosis, after this I decided to get on daily antivirals medications. After doing this I haven't had a single outbreak and am feeling much more confident about the whole thing.

I think the most important thing to remember is that while this is a hiccup, its not the end of the world. Truthfully HSV is just a skin condition with a bad stigma. And... some statistics say as many as 1 in 6 have the disease so you are in no way alone in this. Just remember to keep your head up, it will all be okay smile

Best of luck

• Posted

Hi!

Thank you so much for the response.  It's good to hear I am not alone in how I'm feeling.  Do you mind me asking how long ago you were diagnosed?  How long have you been on the antivirals?  My doctor prescribed Acyclovir to me right away, so I will be starting those in a couple of days.  I actually did have a UTI at the same time as well, so I can understand what you went through there.

I'm also so torn because I am spending time with a new guy, and actually received the call from my doctor as I was cooking him dinner... I'm pretty sure I acted awkward that night!  I've been struggling with how to bring this up as a topic of conversation with him.  However, I just found an article that I think phrases it quite well --

thought I would share:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/07/the-overblown-stigma-of-genital-herpes/374757/ ;

• Posted

Can you describe your symptoms a bit more? I also am suffering from a bad yeast infection...or so I suppose. I went to get checked out and she said that it was swollen and red, but she doesnt thinks it HSV. She did not run any test or anything, just visual exam and pH test which was a bit elevated. I had some weird irritation and paper cut sores or whatnot, I am relieved but now I feel like it was something more. 
    • Posted

Mine started out with UTI symptoms -- I did take a home test for that and it was positive for UTI so I had that going on at the same time. I first experienced pain while urinating. Later I wondered if I had a small cut down there that was causing the pain during urination because my skin has split a little in the past with yeast infections. I also had lower abdominal pain and shooting pains in my legs and feet.  The shooting pains occured randomly throughout the day and made it kind of hard to sleep at night because I couldn't relax.  My skin was also very sensitive around my thighs, it almost hurt to touch. Noticing swollen lymph nodes is what made me finally go to the doctor.  I also had some irritation around the vaginal opening but I assumed a possible yeast infection starting.  The doctor saw the irritated area, but while examining me she didn't see any lesions/ulcers consistent with herpes, but included that along with tests for everything else.  Not saying you do have it, and hopefully you don't, but you may want to get tested for herpes just for peace of mind.  If my doctor gave me a diagnosis simply based on looking for ulcers, she would have said I don't have it -- and it turns out I do.  Now that I am learning much more about it, the swollen lymph nodes, pain during urination, and shooting pains are some of the stranger tell tale signs of it so it all kind of adds up.
    • Posted

My first symptom was a suspected UTI as well. With GH, that signifies lesions inside the urethra. A urine dipstick test usually only looks for white blood cells, which is only indicative of an infection, so cannot distinguish between a bacterial or viral infection (UTIs are bacterial).
    • Posted

So while I was chugging cranberry juice to get rid of my UTI... I had lesions inside the urethra??  Do you know if lesions tend to appear in the same spots for recurring episodes?

I do have to say... I'm really glad that I stumbled upon this website.  I have been breaking down in tears at random times trying to hold all of this in and communicating here makes me feel like I am not alone. 

• Posted

Most likely you did, but cranberry juice is still good for you! Urethriris, as it's known, is less common with recurrences, luckily. I only noticed a couple of very minor and fleeting twinges in the days after my big night out. Nothing like the first time.

Yes, this forum is great! I know nobody else with this, besides my giver, so it's really good to find others in the same position, otherwise it is very isolating.

• Posted

A first outbreak is often accompanied by swollen lymph nodes in the groin, asyour body is fighting a new infection, so that's quite normal. Less common with recurrences.

I have had Type 2 for over 2 months (but have been reading up extensively on GH for that entire time, lol) and had a very mild recurrence, if it was even that, because I partied late a couple of nights beforehand and drank alcohol. It was so mild, I'm still not sure if it was actually a proper recurrence, lol, and hopefully that's all they're like for me!

I am not on any meds, other than multivitamins, as I agree with the HSV experts about seeing how your body handles it first (e.g., how often will I naturally recur, what will they feel like, will I have prodromal symptoms, and if so, what will they also be like, etc.), plus I'm not in a relationship, so there's no need.

• Posted

In all of your reading, does it seem to be that alcohol can cause OB's?  I'm not sure what kinds of things to keep my eye out for either, but my doctor did suggest that I start the suppressive acyclovir right away to minimize recurrances and OB's.  I've been spending time with a new guy, and I'm really stressing out over how to bring this up if things continue to progress with him. 
    • Posted

Think it depends very much on the individual and how long you've had it. I still haven't passed the full antibody production stage yet, so probably partied too soon. I also had five drinks and was out till 5am, lol, but was having fun and wanted to see what would happen. Turns out, not too much! Hopefully, after a while, alcohol won't trigger anything (a couple of drinks on other occasions did not do anything, I should add).
  • Posted

I have had type 2 since June this year and I still continue to live the lifestyle I had before! Nothing has changed at all! ... However it was not always this easy, I was really down and depressed for around 3 months which resulted in me having continuous outbreaks so I took meds for around a month and had no further outbreaks! ... But I had recently started seeing a guy and cut a long story short after a lot of worrying I finally told him and he completely accepts what I have and still likes me for me. So I am now in a really happy relationship I'm on meds and use condoms for sex, I also go to the gym every other day, I occasionally smoke and social drink, wear tight clothes and sometimes out

Til 4am!

Don't let this minor skin virus affect your life the right person will love you for it and it is really manageble! ... I was 17 when diagnosed but now 18 but feeling really positive about the future ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.