Newly diagnosed hyperthyroidism; doc suspects Graves. Long post.

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I started having massive amounts of hair loss several months back, all over my head. It was bad enough to prompt me to go set up an appointment with my GP for some labs because I was petrified. We chocked it up to a vitamin D deficiency and started me on 2000IU a day to regulate it. I had previous symptoms of Graves a few years back and didn't realize that's what it could have been. To add, my labs for my TSH, T3 and T4 all came back normal at the time of my initial appointment. I took my vitamins daily as instructed and no improvement in my hair loss.

All through adolescence into adulthood, I have always had issues keeping on weight despite having a massive appetite,. I always assumed it was a high metabolism and laughed it off when people would suggest thyroid labs (or would suggest I eat several sandwiches..).

Rewind to about 3 years ago. My fiance and I were sitting on his porch one night and I stood up to go inside. I reached to open the storm door and bam, I locked up and almost fell over the railing. He had to catch me and lay me down on the porch. I was unconscious for roughly 15 minutes, unresponsive, and he described what looked like seizure activity. I had been experiencing migraines and lid lag for a few weeks prior to this. I chocked it up to an anxiety attack and left it alone. I did not seek medical treatment and, knowing what I know now, I should have.

Now my throat is sore constantly, my hair is still falling out horribly. I can't stay out of the bathroom. I have depression (20mg Celexa, once daily) and anxiety. My hands shake and I have what feel like hot flashes. I am miserable. Can't sleep but I stay exhausted. Is my doctor right? Do I have this? If so, what can I expect to experience in the treatment process? I have a 6 month old and a 10 year old, and my health is absolutely affecting my ability to care for them. My TSH is low (0.295) but my T4 reads normal so far. Waiting on more labs to come back, they stole 4 more tubes from me yesterday so now its a waiting game.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.