Newly diagnosed hypothryodism

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed and started meds. How soon until I feel better? Is there a quick way to get dose right for me. I cannot face feeling so poorly much longer. Please help

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Different things improve at different rates depending on your symptoms. I recall being utterly disappointed when 2 weeks later I felt no change at all. But by 4 weeks I was not falling asleep at the laptop or mid way through things and the terrible stinging pains I got in my lower legs had got so much more infrequent. Then I can't tell you when it got better because it's gradual but I'm now not simply less exhausted, I actually have a sense of energy sometimes. My body has lost its general ache. I currently have a stinking cold and feel rotten but before I felt ill always, now I know that in a few days I'll be better whereas before I got over illness much slower. Don't expect instant miracles but don't lose hope either. It does get better!
    • Posted

I should've mentioned I've been on them nearly 6 months now.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for reply. I guess I'm just too impatient. 
  • Posted

Takes a while to get the right doseage, your blood will be tested after about 3 months if I remember correctly, mine started at 75mcg then 100mcg now on 125mcg .I am begining to feel better.I have been on them for 1 year now.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed in Sept last year and have just started to feel more like my old self energy wise over the last month or so. Do some research on the vitamins and minerals that can be deficient as a result of this condition - the medication helps but I think it's only part of the equation.  It's tough but learning patience is key - it can take  weeks for the body to get enough of what it's been missing before you see real improvement.  Chin up, you will start to feel better!
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm going to 

check outsome vitamins and supplements.

• Posted

Everyone is different and recover in different times my thyroid levels took a year and half to get right I started on 125 and they have to let it get into your system and they normally put it up around every twelve weeks due to if they put the thyroxin up too quickly you could have a heart attack so that's why you need to be patient are your calcium levels ok I had my thyroid out in 2013 April and I'm one of the troubled ones who they can't get right yet they have recently sorted my calcium levels will they are up but I still feel crappy my legs just kill me I do have abit more energy now. So chin up and keep battering on
  • Posted

I felt mentally brighter instantly, but still overweight and tired 4 months later. Maybe worth a trip to gp to review levels and up your dose. Think thats pretty standard, usually at 3 month stage. My gp told me to double my 25 mcg dose after one month if I didnt feel better. Im just waiting for my first review. This can be sorted, so dont despair. Also good advise here about vitamins and minerals, also do try some exercise and follow a good diet. X
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you're feeling poorly but you might have to give it some time. GPs always start you on a low dose and build up slowly. The last time my dose was increased it took 12 weeks for me to feel the difference. Just as your thyroid began to fail gradually, your recovery will be similar.
  • Posted

I have read the previous 7 replies and they each to me offer good comments. I would re-enforce them and again add “You Must Be Patient” , there is NO other way, but look at it like this, you are on the road to being much better.

Some longer term advice; note the actual supplier/Mfr of the Levothyroxine that you are taking. Always use the same company’s generic product. Ask your doctor to write in the prescription that generic same company. If he or she wont then insist and tell them to read up about the problems with changing Mfr. I can assure you they themselves (if burdened with the problem) would soon find out they shouldn’t change, if it were their own family with the problem they would soon understand regards no changes.

Now there is bound to be a sole out there who can cope with changes, we are all different, consider them the exception that proves the rule.

I have found over 20 years that if you start to feel hot all the time more than those around you, or can walk down the road in winter in summer clothes without feeling cold, you need to reduce your does a little (or more) BUT always after seeing your doctor, and remember its a very involved business (and you may be different) which many docs know little about, but like you they can swot up, understanding from your doc is wonderful, cos,,,,,,,,,,, its one of those things that if you aint experienced it you will have very great difficulty understanding and docs are human beings same as thee and me. So smile and be happy you are on the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.