Newly Diagnosed Hypothyroid... freaking out?

Posted , 6 users are following.

A few months ago I noticed I was having very strange symptoms after catching a cold... I felt like I was in a daze, and was super anxious to the point where I felt like I could not sit in class and constantly wanted to go home and lay in my bed. I was also short of breath. I couldn't quite describe how I was feeling, and even went to therapy because I thought I was just having anxiety. I was napping some days for upwards of three hours, I felt nauseous just walking up a flight of stairs, and the most prevalent symptom I had was that my head felt so foggy that I felt like I was living in a dream. I couldn't quite see straight. In November I had a panic attack, the first time something like that had ever happened to me.  for about two weeks had this wild anxiety feeling in my head like my life wasn't real and I was going to lose control.  I got blood taken back in November, and my TSH was 1.7. I went back for more blood in December and it was 4.7. My doctor said this was only slightly out of range for their scale, so there was no point in giving me medicine yet, but that they would retest in 6-8 weeks. I went back 2 weeks later still feeling horrible, not able to do anything, and my TSH was 6.9, so my doctor prescribed me 25 mcg of Synthroid. My pharmacy gave me the generic brand. The first night after I took it, I felt like my heart was racing and had a panic attack. The next day, my heart still felt like it was racing and my chest felt tight, almost like a slight pain. I went in to the doctor to get my vitals checked, and everything looked fine, my heart rate was even pretty low. After taking the medicine for four days I had my prescription refilled with name brand Synthroid, and have only been taking that for two days so far. I understand that I am on a very low dose, so is this enough to make my heart race, or am I just having more anxiety? How long does it take for your body to adjust to Synthroid, as I do not feel any better?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It can take weeks so it’s doubtful that your symptoms are caused by the medication this soon. The medication works well for most people though it will often take a while and repeated tests to find the right dosage. Get tested for antibodies which might indicate a common condition where your immune system is damaging the thyroid. If that’s the case then diet changes, including going gluten free, can help.
  • Posted

Yes, I had horrible panic attacks and anxiety on the synthroid. I switched to generic and still was always having anxiety.  Then I tried compounded... Tried to get the dose right got over two years. Didn’t work right for me at any dose and the side effects were worse than the disease.

The NDT didn’t cause the anxiety for me. 

In the end, I couldn’t even take the NDTs because they kept changing the formulations and I had a problem with the fillers.

Read the levothyroxin group and check out the posts on side effects. Also read the insert that comes with your prescription- it should have a list of side effects.

• Posted

So very sorry to hear what your going thru My family all has Hypothyroid problems As far as the medication goes it's a bummer It's a toss up on what's wrong However It should absolutely not make you feel that bad Please trust this I could write a book on this issue with everyone in my family dealing with it Including me The problem could be its too much But I suspect your body can't handle it I couldn't I never went on medication because I was put on Vicodin and covered up my problem I spoke with my daughter She is 27 She was diagnosed Thyroid cancer (I dont think you have cancer) she had a huge hard lymph node sticking out of her neck Anyway they took out her thyroid and put her on levothyroxin and she it does not give her anxiety I truly hope you can find a med that works Most important I hope your doctor works with you Good luck

• Posted

Synthroid does not act in a day or two, so it is not surprising you don’t feel,any better yet. For the same reason it wouldn’t start heart racing that soon either. You are obviously hypothyroid and need the medication, so keep taking it and let us know how you’re doing.
  • Posted

Hello j2019,

Being hypothyroid is not the easiest condition to appreciate, getting the dose correct can take some time, but the positive side is once you have been diagnosed you can look forward to good times.

Taking thyroxine is not like other drugs, in fact it is better to see it for what it is, replacing a hormone your body does not deliver itself, so taking a tablet and in two hours or a week you are better is not what will happen.

We humans are all different, we can be diagnosed at different levels of need, you need a reasonable understanding of what to expect once you are taking thyroxine so joining a group is a good move.

Being on the same brand is important for many people, it is for me, the bioequivalence of generics is very much disputed in America, I agree with them, so to avoid muddying the water stay on the same brand, speak to your doctor about this, if he says it wont make any difference challenge him, ask him to read up,,it can make a lot of difference to many and none to many also I am sure.

Taking your dose each day is vital, even though you will see no change, be sure it will happen, but it can take some time, it would depend on how bad you were,

Don't eat food at the same time or before, follow instructions, be methodical.

Buy a book and read about it, look forward to being ok but, remember its a difficult one to manage, so avoid bad management. You will get well.

Your GP cannot know about everything it is impossible, they have a heck of a job, help him to help you, be nice.

Weeks or months before you are stable, there is NO SHORTCUT. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.