Newly Diagnosed Lack of Vit D

Posted , 2 users are following.

54 year old male

Occupation Window Cleaner ( So you would think i wouldnt be Vit D deficient )

Do not Drink at all and i mean nothing !!

Do not smoke

about 5 foot 9

and 12.5 stone .

Symptons

1. Tension Headache
  2. Arm ache ( a bit like dead arm )
  3. Warmth around groin area ( But when i have examined myself found no lumps and cant really pin the pain to my testicle area more like my pubic bone
  4. Extreme tiredness and possibly heavy legs
  5. Feel as though my glands are up in my neck
  6. Stomach pain poss crampy feeling
  7. Stools quite loose but not diahorea
  8. Felt along time i was worse in mornings until i had eaten
  9. Anxiety
  10. nausea
  11. More recently a slight sensation of tasting metal in my mouth
  12. Lower back ache and sides
  13. More recently joints seem to be clicking a bit
  14. Internal shakes ( more so in a morning )

There is possibly more symptons than that .I was more worried of poss having prostrate cancer or over active thyroid as both are in my mum and dads makeup .Also diabetes .

So i have been to the doctors they have taken a whole range of bloodtests and a urine sample and done a whole range of tests .

The results have come back and the doctor says im borderline on potassium to which they are taking another test saying the blood test could have been badly taken . But the definite one is im low on Vitamin D , i have not been given a reading so i suppose i would have to request it to find out . But i have a letter from the Nhs saying i should take a 25mg ( 800/1000ui ) for the rest of my life and to go back in 4 weeks if my symptons do not improve .

A few things worry me, having now read into this more , i have only been taking my meds 3 days but should i be taking magnesium as well ? .As i have read it lowers it and also doesnt taking Vit D crash potassium so whats the use of checking my 2nd blood test next week for potassium as its going to come back lower as im on Vit D supplement . I know what borderline potassium may mean it could mean 1st stage Kidney disease .

Whats the cause of Vit D Defiency with me i work outside !!?? although i have not done for past 3 to 4 weeks as its been xmas and bad weather i have not been able to do my job as well as being unwell . But surely Vit D doesnt crash like that . Dont forget im out at least 6 hours a day 5 days a week and also walk the dog 2 times a day . I cant believe im vit D deficient . Should i be asking serious questions of why ? .

Anyway altering what i eat, although we always have cooked home dinners mostly , drinking more water and taking my pill and will see what that brings .

Only thing i can say is we do tend to eat more white meat occasional steak and we do eat fish at least once a week .

I suppose im feeling there is something more to this and just popping a pill a day . Whats caused it .

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It seems like you already know what to do, try taking more vitamin D. You can either take it organically through fruit and vegetables or it can buy vitamin D tablets from a drug store. Its always important to eat well, i eat lots of carbohydrates. I urge you to do the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.