Newly Diagnosed, looking for advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey All! A bit of a background here - I am 26 years old with Chronic Pancreantitis. This is/has been the only stomach disorder I have been diagnosed with. I am on a lot of medications for this disorder and seem to have it down. However, last week I went to the hospital since I was in a lot of pain, thinking it was a pancreas flare up. Lipase were high, but not enough to warrant a hospital stay. I got a CT Scan and the Doc said he found Diverticulitis. This doesn't surprise me as the pain didn't seem like a pancreas and has been consistent on a daily basis.

I have been having crazy BMs everyday and constant pain in the middle stomach that wont seem to go away. The Doc didnt give me any meds to go home with so I am guessing it isnt infected or didnt look to bad. What I am looking for is some advice, after all of my pancreas issues I wouldnt mind some time to actually live a normal life pain free? Anything will help!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I see from your other posts you are Type 1 Diabetic, have Pancreatitis and now told you have Diverticulitis. I know that Diabetes and pancreas issues do go hand in hand. What I would normally suggest for an attack of Diverticulitis would be 48 hours clear fluids only, then a low residue diet for a week or so, returning to a normal diet slowly after that. However, with your other conditions I suspect that would not be appropriate. You say you weren't given medication, which could be that there were inflamed diverticula, causing pain, but not infected diverticula, which would cause a fever, swamping cramps, nausea. So medication would be ineffective. Or, the doctor did not want to give diverticular disease medications that would clash with your current medications. This is not much help, I know. If you are in the UK you could go to the Diabetes UK website forum and ask the question, in case any Type 1 also suffer from your other conditions and can help. Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you! It has been a rough year hasnt it? The Diabetes thing to be honest with you hasnt been an issue at all. A1C is back to 6 so I have been A OK there. I agree, I dont think they are inflammed as well, but he did say to bring it up to my GI and maybe have him run another test to see if I need antibiotics. Id rather not do the totally clear liquid diet (I need them nutrients)! until I hear from the GI but some fruit and protein powder as protein shakes have been helping.

I really appreciate your help here!

• Posted

Did he say Diverticulitis or Diverticula ? Did he take blood word when he took the ct scan?

• Posted

He did and only mentioned my lipase from the blood test. In all honesty, I was in so much pain I dont think I am able to differentiate from the two when he told me...

• Posted

Hi.

I don't know how a type 1 diabetic eat but you can google Mayo Clinic low residue diet and see how you can modify it to your needs. My dietitian recommends no more than 15 grams of fibre a day. 1/3 of a cup of beans can be eaten every meal as long as they are pureed. I honestly have never done that much but I have done a couple of spoons of pureed beans and been fine. I also do whole wheat instead of white which she says is fine. I keep it to 5 grams. Make you meals soft and small for a while. Try to rest as much as you can. Don't lift heavy things. Drink lots of fluids. Start keeping a food journal. Most people seem to have trigger foods even though doctors say food doesn't matter. IMHO it does. Chew things until they are mush before swallowing. Don't get constipated. Take a stool softener if needed but try to stay away from laxatives. Heating pads or hot water bottles can help with the pain. Wait 3 weeks before you start adding 1 higher fibre food item a day and record it and see how you feel then the next day add another. You add small amounts so you don't hurt yourself by eating too much fibre too fast. So don't start with high gassy vegetables. Beans and peas pureed are not very gassy. Aim for at least 30 grams of fibre by the time you are feeling better and keep it there or higher. The pain may linger for a long time or it may go away. Check with your doctor if you still have pain to get the all clear to eat through the pain. Exercise as you can in a week or two when you feel a bit better but lay off heavy lifting for quite a while. Walking is best.

I start with soup made from potatoes, green beans, and carrots cooked until everything is super soft like canned veg are. I stay away from high fat foods, diary, and meat (some people can do meat and dairy with no problem), along with anything with a tough skin (unless its peeled) and raw foods. Apple sauce and canned peaches are my friends.

If you can think of all the foods you ate for two to three days before the attack you may find the offenders. See why you keep a food journal? It helps find suspect foods that may have triggered a flare. Its a lot of work and very frustrating to have diverticular disease and some people experience a lot of anxiety around how they eat, what to eat, are they helping or hurting themselves with what they are doing. It goes away but it may take awhile as you adjust to your new lifestyle. It is very important to note you may never have another bout like this but you must follow all the steps above either way. So don't get constipated, eat high fibre foods (once you are well), log your foods, try and stay away from lots of junk food in one day, exercise, and drink lots of water, LOTS, chew your food very well, and hopefully this is your first and last attack. I hope this helps. I really hope you feel better soon. Any other questions ask away.

Julie

• Posted

Wow Julie this is a huge help! I will keep this in mind for the next week before my appointment. Sounds like this is something I will have to do for a little bit... oh well, I always try and stay positive and think it could always be worse. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi

Julie has sent a very comprehensive reply, although some of the foods suggested I know should be avoided by a diabetic (I'm Type 2 and all root veggies, carbs, and most fruits are out). I'm sure you'll be able to adapt. I do make a lot of soup and eat lots of veggies. My friend with pancreas problems has to avoid most foods with any taste - just eats bland pap. I expect you are going to have to juggle with your insulin and other medications as well - not an easy job. It can take several weeks for a flare to die down, so don't expect quick results. Regarding the stool softener, I used to take Fybogel (orange flavoured psyllium husk) but once diagnosed diabetic, moved to Inulin, which is chicory root extract.

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry had it twice. Do what docs say. If it doesn't get better don't be afraid to be proactive call your doctor back and follow up! Good luck 🙏 sorry you had to have it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.