Newly diagnosed LS @ age 45

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm very thankful to have find this site. I started noticking changes in my inner labia a few years ago around the same time that sex started to be uncomfortable from occasional tearing and burning (mostly vaginal). I brought it up to my GYN, and she commented that most likely the anatomical changes was due to my weight. I'm very heavy at 300lb, 5'6".  She prescribed Estrace cream after commenting there was some vaginal atrophic changes - welcome to middle age! So, admittedly NOT using the Estrace as prescribed because it's just a hassle and easy to forget (I did use it once weekly), I did forge ahead another year and forgot about my lady parts. I remember feeling down there again some time later and feeling this roughness on my inner labia (what's left) and immediately freaked out, mirror in one hand, Google in the other. The search yielded several sites talking about LS, and instead of going back to my GYN, i called a dermatologist and scheduled an appt, but by my appt time, the skin had completely cleared up! So, I figured 'hey, all good!'. Fast forward another year and back tothe GYN for routine checkup and she says she my inner labia is almost ocmpletely gone and I have LS with the white, wrinkly, rough skin on what remains. I have NO symptoms of itching and since my husband and I have sex very rarely (2-3times a year), I hadn't had any pain to make me think something was going on down there. I mean, honestly, how often do you get a mirror or go exploring? At least, for me, not that often.  She prescribed Clob 2x/day until the tube was gone, then said I could use an OTC steroid ointment.   I don't really have any questions, I'm just still trying to get used to the actual diagnosis and I AM wondering, IF I'm diligent about using the medication, willl the atrophy stop? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jaqueline,

You're the proof of my personal theory that the more often we have sex, the more the LS will progress. I've had it my entire adult life (I'm 62) and although my inner labia fused to my clitoris so the whole area is flat, I don't have anything like the discomfort a lot of women have and my vaginal opening is not narrowing quickly since we stopped having sex a year ago. You clob prescription instructions are unusual. Normally it's a quick tapering-off from daily to twice a week (over about three months) then twice a week forever.

• Posted

I can see where more sex could aggravate the symptoms.  I do have a question. How do I know if my skin is fusing or if it's just atrophy? I have no scarring.  But everything just seems to be melting, so to speak.  I did a more thorough exam this morning,  and I think I've lost some clitoral hood definition. But again, no scarring. I just look like a prepubescent girl. 
  • Posted

hi jac

i was just wondering about the rest of your lifestyle....?

are you or have you been exposed to chemicals....what do you take in....what's around you?

• Posted

I don't use a lot of chemicals,  to clean my house.  My diet is pretty much what I want. I eat a lot of dairy, red meat once a week, chicken,  heavy on bread.  I do take several supplements...krill oil,  cranberry,  coq10, biotin, and I also have vitamin deficiency of b12, vitamin d, folic acid,  so I take prescription replacement for those.  I blame the deficiency on my gastric lap band that I had for 8 years before having it removed.  I'm not aware of any toxic exposures in my life. I'm not a product of sexual abuse.  My dermatologist did tell me I have a touch of psoriasis, which I do believe is connected with LS. 
    • Posted

What changes would you make?

I'm  trying to cut out all chemicals...tricky! well done for sussing your deficiences....sounds like you're reviewing bread. I cut it out and all grains with positive effect...still looking for further improvements and changes...its a journey isn't it!?

• Posted

May i ask did your GP indentify your low B12 etc.?   I'm looking for a Lab that tests more widely...any ideas?
    • Posted

Yes,  he ran a panel for B vitamin levels. I was having severe fatigue,  depression and nerve tingling in my legs.  I think MMA is the test for B12, folate would test B6.
  • Posted

I was told at the hospital that if you use the dermovate diligently, there would be no atrophy. I do agree witht the sentiment that steroid creams arent the way, but if there is nothing else, what do you do? You cant worry about the future too much. You have to ease the symptoms in the present with what you are given, which in the case of LS is very little.  You do need to keep an eye out with a mirror so that you can monitor the changes that are going on.
    • Posted

hello again

these are the real questions ...it would be irresponsible not to pay attention...to treatment!

Just not necessarily what 's on offer. 

There can certainly be no harm in purifying our bodies and our enviroment.

• Posted

yes ...self exam is vital...I  keep a shaving mirror beside the bed to casually grab to just keep an eye and to apply any potions. Find it is very helpful.... I try to keep a relaxed and happy mind too.
  • Posted

Just concentrating on your question - unfortunately there isn't really an answer. If I've learned one thing from these forums on LS it is that everyone's story is slightly different although there are lots of common factors which a few people are trying to collate. But certainly the clob steroid ointment is the best chance you have of stopping the atrophy and HAS worked for many people so lots of luck! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.