Newly diagnosed, need advice...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Around a year ago I finally plucked up the courage to go to my doctor, as I was experiencing pain during and after sex, felt like my skin was splitting. Months later I got an appointment, was given vagifem to try. At my next gynaecology appointment I informed the doctor that it didn't seem to make any difference. I was told to follow the over-zealous bathing routine and they would like to perform a vulval and vaginal mapping procedure. I had the surgery in jan this year, weeks later when I had my follow up with the gynaecologist. I was told the results showed a hint of lichen sclerosis. He also gave me lotriderm to apply nightly.

I feel like being told about LS I am more aware of it. Before I had my operation my relationship ended, so I feel like it's almost impossible to know whether the cream is helping.

One thing I am concerned about is that when I was in a relationship someone's I felt like I couldn't open up enough to have intercourse. I have read about vaginal dilators, however I am unsure whether I'm like this because of the LS (as I have been told it's mild at the moment), or if this is just my body?

was told I would get an appointment in 6 weeks, but there wasn't any available until 12. My next appointment is this Thursday, I'm feeling anxious as I want to get as much help from it as possible but don't really know where to start.

I appreciate any help you can give me smile

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

  • Posted

    About vaginal dilators - I have to do that or else all narrows too quickly.  At present I do it twice a week.  Have done it more often in the beginning.  Using coconut oil for lubrication. It also improves urinating somehow.  It's the first thing that's affected if I leave it too long. 

    ?Hope this is of some help.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Although the Locoid cream really helped stop the soreness, it did not make intercourse any less painful - still felt really sore on one side of the vagina.  Haven't even attempted it for about 3 years now, which makes me very sadcry  Had a change of GP about six months ago (a young lady) and she put me back on Vagifem (gynae took me off it when I started using Oestrogel, but new doctor says you need a localised HRT for atrophy).  Fingers crossed that it will help and I can try again.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Sorry I don't know what lotriderm is.  Locoid is a steriod cream, but I don't use it very often anymore.  I have found the hydromol ointment very good for washing with and using a bit down there daily.  

      I totally agree with you; knowing it will hurt puts you off even botheringsad

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up