Newly diagnosed & planning a family!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - so pleased to have found this group! I am newt diagnosed & waiting for full details of what's going on but I'm quite distraught as I am getting married in 6 months time & was planning to try for a baby straight away as I am 37 this year & don't have time to waste.

I have upset myself by reading about weight gain once I am on medication (perfect for my wedding dress!) and more so the pregnancy side of it. I am wondering if anyone has any positive stories of pregnancy while on medication for hyperthyroid?

Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was menopausal and had a weight problem when diagnosed and I did not lose weight when I was hyper.  Also my dose of meds was never more than 10 mg daily and I did not gain any weight on it either.  Since only my TSH was way out of line at less than 0.001 at diagnosis, my Free T3 and T4 were never more than 10 points higher than they were supposed to be.  I did not follow the typical pattern of hyper and weight loss as most younger people with thyroid disezse do.  So depending on your diagnosis and the amount of meds you are placed on, this will make a difference.  What will also make a difference positively are the steps you take to get well in addition to your medical treatment.  Many of us on this Board added supplements to our medical treatment and were therefore able to get our meds dosage lowered quicker and also feel better as we replaced all the lost vitamins, minerals and amino acids that happen when your thyroid is running like a freight train.  I got tested for my carnitine levels and vitamin D and Magnesium levels and they were either deficient or low.  I know if you are hyperthyroid and pregnant that they will switch your medication to another one that is considered safer to use during pregnancy.
  • Posted

I'm 55 menopausal and have been skinny my whole life. I started on 20 mg of methimazole but added a lot of supplements especially l'carnitine. I only gained 3 pounds since being diagnosed last year. Just make sure to take lots of supplements, exercise and eat clean. You'll be fine for your wedding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.