Newly Diagnosed PMR...Dr appt today

Posted , 11 users are following.

I started 20mg of Pred.3 days ago, and am mostly pain free so far.Had my follow up Dr appt today. He will keep me at 20mg for 4 weeks, and then have me to down to 15mg and see how I do. He said the first "jump" down can be that big, but subsequent drops will be by 1 or 2 mg. Is this what most Dr's do? He also said I can start my water aeorbics back classes back up again and it was really up to me whether to go half time for a couple of times, or get right back into it. I am SO happy.......ILOVE that class. There are only about 10 older ladies like me in it, and the instructor is so nice. Feeling  hopeful today !!! Went and got my hair cut after my Dr's appt !!!!!!!!!!!! smile

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Manikki,

So glad you are feeling so well!! Sounds like you have a good Doc.

I am in the USA. I had pretty much the same experience. Was strongly encouraged to maintain my physical activities after I was (finally) diagnosed (December 2013) and felt so great at 20 mg and reduced Prednisone similarly to you. About 6 weeks after diagnosis, I fell on the ice and shatered my shoulder. I started PT after 3 weeks and thankfully was back exercising within 10 weeks. I did not increase steroids at that time.

Now at 5 mg. I reduce using a very very slow method. Have been fortunate not to have had a flare. There is a reduction schedule posted on this site, which is very helpful to know, and there are people with exceptional knowledge and experience, such as Eileen, who have helped all of us.

Good luck!

Paula

• Posted

That's great news - and you have a sensible doctor too!

However - I'd ask him nicely if you can do that big jump 2.5mg at a time - why not? 2.5mg done twice 2 weeks apart is the same as 5mg done once and far less likely to cause discomfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.