Newly diagnosed - scared and looking for advice

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello -

I was diagnosed with pneumonia in at the end of June, after a chest x-ray and a CT scan.  This week, I had a follow-up scan to make sure the pneumonia had cleared (it had).    

This time, the scan revealed "Aneurysmal dilatation of the ascending thoracic aorta measuring 3.6 cm"   I think this is a TAA

I am 51 years old and lost my husband to cancer just a few months ago.  We have two college-aged children.  I am absolutely terrified.   My children have been through so much and I want to do everything within my control to stay health.

My scan was seen by a thoracic surgeon.  His office told me "not to panic" and I have an appointment with a cardiologist in mid-September.   My father had an aortic aneurysm repaired at age 68, so I'm thinking this is a genetic condition. 

I am 5'4", 140 pounds.  Recent BP is 120/80  (not sure about my cholesterol)

Can anyone offer tips or advice?    I know I need to lose some weight and I will switch to a very heart-healthy diet.   I also read that daily aspirin may slow the growth so I will add that to my daily routine. 

My biggest concern is that this wasn't noticed 6 weeks ago when I had the first scan (& on two chest X-rays)   Does that mean it's growing like a weed?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.  I am thrilled to have found this site.  

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anyone with heart problems should avoid these antibiotics, in my opinion.

**Fluoroquinolones have been associated with collagen degradation, raising safety concerns related to more serious collagen disorders with use of these antibiotics, including aortic aneurysm and dissection.**

• Posted

It sounds like the first radiologist just didn't catch it or thought it was small enough not to mention.  Have you talked with your Dr about this?  When my ascending aortic aneurysm was found it was 4.1 and I was freaking out.  My Dr  told me that actually wasn't that large and was more of a dilatation.  Talking to him definitely made me feel better.  It sounds though like you are on the right track of taking care of yourself.  Also, just remember not to lift anything heavy (like a chair or couch).  Keep checking this site.  It provided me with a lot of support. 

• Posted

Also never take Fluroquinolone antibiotics as latest findings say it can cause a burst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.