newly diagnosed superventricular tachicardia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm female and 50 and after being diagnosed with ectopic heartbeats 'that everyone gets' and 'anxiety attacks' for several years, I finally,12 weeks ago,had a diagnosis of SVT after a couple of hours with a heart rate of 250. This was controlled with adenosine in A& E. I'm finding it difficult to get back to my normal lifestyle even though everyone says that I won't die from it and a scan shows my heart is fine apart from slightly enlarged upper chambers which apparently isn't a problem!

I don't smoke, have stopped any alcohol (only had 3 glasses of wine at weekend) cut out caffeine and eat healthier. I seem to feel discomfort in the middle of my chest and am still having ectopics with short bursts of SVT which have stopped so far without intervention. Anyone got any tips on how they got back to normal as I'm getting on everyones nerves who tell me to just forget about it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I was diagnosed with ectopic beats about 9 weeks ago but have had them for years. I was taken into hospital after phoning an ambulance and spent 10 days there having scans and blood tests. I also had a heart monitor on for 8 days plus a 24 hr monitor while in hospital and a 48 hr monitor in out patients.

I was first diagnosed in my local surgery after an ECG a couple of weeks before I went into hospital. I was put on Bisoprolol but the side effects was bad so stopped them. I then went to see a private Dr who put me on Flecainide but these caused side effects too. I will be seeing the private Dr in a couple of weeks. I am hoping he will offer me the Ablation but don't hold out much hope. Are you on medication.

The Dr told me the same that they won't hurt, they should try having the symptoms. I get severe chest pain at times but not sure if it comes from my heart or my hiatus hernia. I was told my heart is sound. It is a nuisance because I don't know when the attacks are going to start. I am quite aware of my heart and afraid to move sometimes just incase the ectopics start playing up.

The ablation is supposed to stop them altogether. The Dr told me that there is faulty wiring in the upper chambers of the heart that go down the wrong pathway, hence the ectopics.     

• Posted

Hi Maria. I had SVT for about 20 years or so. I had an ablation two years ago and have not had an episode since. Did your doctor discuss an ablation with you or arrange tests to see if you would be suitable for one?

Caffeine was definitely a trigger for my SVT (including the tiny traces of it in decaff tea or coffee). I would recommend scrutinising everything you eat, and especially drink, to make sure it has zero caffeine (e.g. no coca cola, lucozade etc.). The only other pattern I was reasonably sure of was it seemed to happen as a delayed reaction to stress (e.g. a day after a family row or something like that).

Several doctors mentioned cutting out alcohol to me but I never found any connection in my case, and some of my worst episodes happened when I was off it. So I wouldn't sacrifice the demon drink unless you're sure it makes a real difference in your case!

• Posted

Sorry, like Merryl, I forgot to mention that sudden bending down, like to pick something up, was also a trigger.
  • Posted

Hi, Maria. No, do not "forget" about it. I certainly am no expert, but I was diagnosed with SVT after spending 24 days feeling like I was goint to pass out after eating. I was seeing a gastrologist. I was also diagnosed with SVT prior to that and made an appointment to have a heart ablation. I did not have much faith in the ablation since I was convinced that my problems were digestive related. Since the ablation, I have not had one symptom of syncope (feeling like I was going to pass out). I would recommend a heart ablation for anyone with SVT The procedure is painless and quick. John Contratto

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.