Newly Diagnosed - Terminology & Sleep Problems

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I've recently learned that I'm not invincible or immortal.

I'm 48, from the UK. Long time hypertensive and T2 diabetic, neither well controlled because it didn't need to be because I was immortal right? Tablets for BP & T2. I don't smoke or drink. Well, occasional shandy, I'm always the driver, it's just never interested me.

Recently attended A&E after suffering a dizzy spell. Got checked over and had full bloods taken and checked.

Advised that I was being admitted overnight as my kidney function was troublesome. A previous blood test in November 2016 had shown some concern but after hearing nothing after a retest I assumed, wrongly, that all was well. I missed 2017 diabetic review....

So I'm on a steep learning curve. It turns out I was anaemic, which would explain a lot of the lethargy and constant feeling cold I'd been suffering in recent months.

But it also turned out that the anaemia was cause by Chronic Kidney Disease or Acute Kidney Injury.

The A&E consultant seemed concerned it was a rapid decline in function since my 2016 test results but had nothing from 2017 to measure it against. He mentioned Ibuprofen but I hadn't taken but 2 x 200mg in the last 6 months.

I'm confused about the different readings that I've been reading about. Basically, during a 5 night stay in hospital trying to regulate my blood glucose and blood pressure, I was released. BP was still quite high, about 150/90+ ish but sugars were under control.

I don't know what my GFR reading was or indeed what it even IS! My creatanine levels were steady at about 350, whereas in Nov 2016 they were in the 160-180 range, slightly above what was considered normal.

I was seen by a Nephrologist on the ward and asked him some blunt questions. One ward doctor had told me that with creatanine levels at 350 my kidneys were functioning at about 40%. The Nephologist poopooed that and said my function was about 16% and they'd start dialysis at 8%!!!!!

I was very taken aback.

I was eventually released but since I've been released I have been absolutely EXHAUSTED. I've never been the most fit guy in the world but I was able to function well and keep up with general daily living activities without struggling. Now, a 100 yard walk to my work place from the car park has to be done at a steady pace.

I am also suffering terribly from sleep problems.

I'm not sure if this is related but since October 2017 I've had problems whereby I've had a lot of throat mucus, sinus popping and bubbling which in turn has been effectively choking my airways at night preventing me from sleeping. I was pretty much OK until my hospital visit and ironically I slept well in hospital.

In Oct 2017 I noticed a shortness of breath on holiday one day accompanied with a "raspy" feeling on my outward breath, as if mucus was blocked. It comes and goes but a few weeks ago I had a horrendous 2-3 weeks of hacking up thick yellow mucus, unable to sleep, constant throat clearing, nose mucus etc. Of course, I didn't want to bother the doctor with all this and bravely battled on.

So, like one other person who's story I've read on here, I'm pretty terrified that this is it for me. Steady decline, dialysis, and hope I can find someone that likes me enough to offer up a spare kidney.

I had a drip with iron supplement just before I left hospital and a blood test about a week ago which showed that my iron levels were back to normal but the "haemoglobins" were still low and apparently these are important for energy levels as they carry oxygen around your body?

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance from people who have been down this path and have managed to prevent any further kidney damage by good BP & T2D control which is what the Nephrologist suspects my damage has been caused by.

I'm seeing him for a check up later this month and hoping against hope that it's still some acute damage that's caused my problems and it's somewhat reversible but deep down I'm sure it's as they suspect, chronic kidney disease cause by a combination of poorly controlled BP, T2D and various medications over the years.

I need to feel well again for my family. My children have already lost their Mother to cancer so the worry is compounded for me neutral

Thanks in advance for any info/encouragement anyone can offer.

M.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Forgot to mention one more thing

All milk products produce excess mucus.

I use a mucus relief product which comes in pill form or liquid, both work.

I don't use the the product which is a brand name because it is too expensive for me to purchase, so I use a generic product

Also, has any doctor examined your mucus, in a laboratory test, to make sure it is not another disorder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.