Newly Diagnosed with AV - Issues with Replens

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have been dealing with what feels UTI symptoms since early April.  7 courses of antibiotics later, a very painful cystoscopy, a yeast infection, BV, and now AV (and a 15 lb weight loss that I did not want).   During this entire time I have been using replens with the hope that some of the pain and burning would ease up a bit. But it didn’t. It turns out that the replens has been making things worse.  I have been having this very unusual white tissue like discharge  in addition to swelling, redness and severe burning. Turns out it is the replens!  Anyone else experience this? And any suggestions on a more natural product that has been successful at treating or at least reducing this horrible pain.  Anyone using Bioidentical hormones for AV? 

0 likes, 368 replies

368 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I use pure organic cold pressed coconut oil externally and internally every time I go to the toilet. I also apply vit e oil (squeezed out from a 400iu oral capsule) internally once a day. Before I go to been  insert a key e suppository or Yes oil based lube from an applicator. I cannot use water based products because whatever else is in there stings me. So I only use natural organic oils.
    • Posted

I just ordered the water based Yes product online but it has not arrived yet. I am a big supporter of coconut oil but am reluctant to use it internally.  The oils have not affected the ph balance in there? 
    • Posted

Coconut oil has natural anti bacterial, anti viral and anti fungal properties. 
  • Posted

You sound just like me and I put up with it for weeks until I spoke to my doctor. He said it was common in post menopausal women and gave me estriol cream. I was so desperate when I agreed the estriol cream and couldn't wait to start it. The burning and stinging was getting me down. I got the cream late morning and used it there and then expecting great things.  Well it made not one bit of difference if anything felt worse. I had to use it every day for two weeks then three times a week now once a week. It is much better now but still not right. I spoke at length to my doctor about not wanting to take anything remotely connected to HRT he told me there was a very small amount of oestrogen in estriol and he would struggle to fine any in my bloodstream if he did a test.  Since then I have read various articles on estriol and it has a lot of advantages in taking it. Read up about it yourself.  I have used moisturisers but to no avail the worst one being YES VM it was awful.  I am using estriol on its own and things are getting better. But don't expect miracles these things take a while to work. This is a great forum and you find more people with exactly the same symptoms. Everyone is different though some people find relief one way but the estriol is a good way for me. 

• Posted

Hi Olive

I just ordered the Yes product. Hopefully I don’t react to that too. But I am definitely going to ask about the estriol. It seems a lot of women are having success with that. I think I need more than a vaginal moisturiser at this point.  Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

Well that's what the doctor said to me.  He said (as we all know by now) when our own  estrogen levels drop that's why we need a cream like estriol. He didn't recommend any moisturisers at all just the estriol cream. It definitely is helping just no time to wait because I feel that area is nowhere near what it should be. I bought the YES VM myself and the first tine I used it it didn't feel good at all and waited three days before using it again in between the once a week estriol cream. The second time I used it it felt like everything was coming back again I felt my bladder was bursting and a horrible stinging feeling was there and had a dash to the toilet and only managed a small amount and this went on all night and if I could have done, would have washed it out the feeling was so bad so am not using it again. 

I am persisting with estriol because I do feel it is helping and will try to hydrate myself more by drinking more water - I was told to make sure I was hydrated because sometimes my mouth abd tongue are so dry and wonder if that is a sign of my body being dry. Don't know but would try anything except coconut oil and YES VM 

keep me up to date with how you get on 

what a pest it is I don't seem to be quite so bad during the day as I am during the night 

• Posted

That is so strange...evenings are the worst for me too.  It actually starts to become unbearable around 3-4 pm and I need to lay down. I’ve concluded that sitting at my desk at work or in my car is aggravating everything. By the end of my work week, the pain has exhausted me and I cannot do anything.  Hopefully relief is in the near future. 
    • Posted

Hi Olive,

I started the estriol cream 2 nights ago. The burning has been just awful. You said you thought the estriol made you worse initially. How long before things improved? I’m already wanting to give up on it. 

• Posted

The ovestin (estriol) cream didn’t sting or burn me. When trying new products I would try a small bit on the outside. If it stung or burnt I would not use it and would try something else. Vagifem didn’t sting but made me swell up inside so much I couldn’t get the applicator in. My dr and I had a plan. Try vagifem first, if I reacted badly to that try ovestin, if I reacted badly to that then I would try HRT patches. If topical HRT doesn’t make work then systemic HRT is the only alternative. Or keep trying to find natural alternatives. Has anyone tried taking the sea buckthorn oil?
    • Posted

Thanks Suki. It’s 5:30 am here and the burning has had me up for hours. I tried applying it to the outside first and had no reaction, then a pea sized amount internally, still no reaction.  So I went ahead with the prescribed amount but the burning is too much. Had to see my family doctor for the UTI symptoms yesterday and she wants me to try Premarin for 2 weeks because she thinks I need a strong estrogen load to get this under control and then I can taper off.  She explained that naturopaths are only licensed to prescribe estrogen in low doses and it might not be enough for me.  I have read some scary things about Premarin but I guess I need to way the pros and cons at this point. 
    • Posted

*weigh.  I’m clearly tired. 
    • Posted

It did then it felt better then it felt bad again but would say the estriol is working. I tried the YES VM again in tbe outer areas and that was bad. I did that last night and it had me up lots of times again.  It's so annoying. 

The times I went back to bed I must have gone into a deep sleep because am told there was a thunderstorm here in Scotland last night with hailstones and size of golf balls and we never heard a thing. Must have been between one toilet trip and the next one. 

• Posted

There is no way I’d use Premarin. It is banned in the U.K. due to the health risks (they stop the human trials before they were completed due to risk of death to the participants). Also the way the horses are treated in order to get the pregnant mare’s urine (pre-mar-in ... get it?) is totally unacceptable (they spend their lives chained in one place, constantly pregnant - the foals begin slaughtered at birth - constantly thirsty so that their urine is concentrated. That is no way for such a proud intelligent animal that should be roaming in fields to live.). I cannot believe that Premarin is still legal and FDA approved (when the safe estrogen, estriol, isn’t) when there are safer and less cruel alternatives. I have read that it is all down to the drugs companies having so much money that they can pay people off. If women refused to use it there would be no demand and the cruelty would stop.
    • Posted

Yes VM stung me. I guess it doesn’t suit everyone. I can only tolerate natural oils - coconut oil, vit e oil and Yes OB.
    • Posted

Oh no. I did not know any of that. 😬  But I thought Premarin came in a pill form too? Maybe it is the oral dose that is so dangerous?  I guess I will research a bit more. 

• Posted

Oral HRT carries more risks than the type locally applied to the vagina because it enters your whole system. Nevertheless the treatment of the horses is inexcusable .. plus do yo really want to use something’s made from horse p**s? See attached photos.
    • Posted

Oral HRT carries more risks than the type locally applied to the vagina because it enters your whole system. Nevertheless the treatment of the horses is inexcusable .. plus do yo really want to use something’s made from horse p**s? See attached photos.
    • Posted

You have convinced me. No Premarin. Unfortunately, my family doctor loves to write prescriptions with very little discussion. 
    • Posted

Such is the power and influence of the huge pharmaceutical industry in the US....and an underfunded FDA.
    • Posted

Good for you. I sent another lady those posture who was on Premarin and she said she’d drink that filthy bucket or horse urine if it meant it would cure her VA. She didn’t even care about the risks to her own health. The whole thing is ridiculous - horse hormones aren’t the same as ours so of course they are incompatible with our system and cause problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.