Newly diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus.Am really scared.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,have just had a gastroscopy,after the exam a nurse brought in a card with details on,that I looked at when I sat down.It said Barrett's epithelium so I questioned it as I heard it was a pre cancerous condition.It also looked to me like the a part of n/a on the cancer referral section was ringed.I expressed concern to the surgeon who told me i shouldnt be too concerned he pointed to a small mass near the ge junction and said (I think he said this,it was all a bit of a blur)although there's dysplaysia there is no and he used a word beginning with m.Which you need for a diagnosis of Barrett's.

On my endoscopy report the picture of the ge junction looks like it had a small mass near it.

Ever since I have been googling pictures of all sorts of stuff and am not sleeping well.Am not coping well at work and am not eating properly.I have a small child and a teenager and am completely petrified.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was told by the surgeon that biopsy reports would be back within 7-10 days but my doctor says it could take 3 weeks to a month.I recently spoke to the nurse (who was present at the endoscopy)at the hospital who said the mass could have been food as due to a slow emptying stomach I had food in my atrium.Although why would the surgeon have said that?I also know a secretary who works at the hospital who told me that my sheet said no complications,Wether that means with the procedure or not?My report sheet says apparent mucosal junction at 40 cm from the incisors.Barretts epithelium,Prague c1m1.specimens 4xbiopsy.diagnosis:Barrett's mucosa.stomach.normal.duodenum normal.in the comments it says irregular squamo-columnar junction with possible columnar lined oesophagus.reflux probably related to slow gastric emptying and incompetent sphincter.

On the run up to this I thought I was dying from heart,lung pain had ambulances called out ended up in a and e.was told I had gastritis and bronchitis as I was suffering from rales in the morning.Have been on edge waiting for results of chest X-rays,blood tests etc.Its been 6 days so far and I'm having problems coping😞

• Posted

The first thing to say is DON'T PANIC!!  We all feel that our life is doomed when we have a diagnosis of Barretts - cancer following.😡  Very few actually develope cancer and, although I am not an expert, your diagnosis doesn't sound too bad.  Others will be along to give you more advice.

All the best!  Relax 🍾🍸💥

• Posted

Hi mathew

First of all relax. Second stop googling.am assuming you have been given ppi please take them regularly and eat small food portions frequently.... let the biopsy result come back...... am sure your doctor will give you options regarding treatment and us with barretts are lucky to know we have it because we have time to keep everything in check......if anything ablation will get rid of the affected area to allow healthy tissue to grow...... like me if u have incompetent sphincter then linx or fundoplication can be done to solve that..... please enjoy your children n try to calm down. Am sure all will turn out well.take care.

• Posted

I' was diagnosed with Barrett's at 19, with bleeding ulcers in the esophagus and stomach. I'm now 25, take PPIs daily and do not have any problems. I suffer from every day heartburn 0-24 hours a day if not on PPIs. I feel extremly good no pain no side effects nothing, Overall, I'm really healthy...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.