Newly diagnosed with COPD

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed with COPD last week, I'm 61 years old and haven't smoked for over 22 years.

I retired early after 42 years of working, due to unrelated health problems One of my biggest problems now is my weight at 23 1/2 stone, not due to overeating but lack of exercise,and

Waiting to go in to hospital and have an operation on my tyroid.

I was really poorly this year in May and June having pleurisy, Sent me for x-rays and CT scan came back showing this problem.

I have been suffering with shortness of breath fatigue for a number of years previously had x-rays and a scan but nothing has Come up can they miss the symptoms and diagnosis.

The other symptom I suffer with is terrible sweating which has been also going on for number years to the point of embarrassment when you go out, I was wondering if anybody else was suffering with this symptoms as well as me.

And if you are have you managed to sort this out.

The other big problem is mobility walking is painful and getting very breathless, does this improve with the medication being given.

Interested to hear from people in the same position as me, hopefully can improve my situation with the knowledge of others.

Thanks advance for any help.

Eric

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Eric a lot of your symptoms could be related just to your weight gain.  If the doctors haven't already addressed that with you perhaps you can bring it up with them, some sort of pulmonary rehabilitation programme may be of great help and perhaps referral to a diatician.  The inhaler medication will help open up the airways but being over weight is not helpful to lung health or any other health really so it makes sense to try and address that problem in order to help all the symptoms you are experiencing.

Good luck with it all, it takes time but with perseverance long term you will find symptoms improve.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply, have a problem with my  thyroid gland going in on the 29th of this month for surgery to be removed hoping things will improve after that.

Eric

• Posted

Hi Eric, the very best of luck for your op. Hopefully it will help to give you more information on where your body is at.

Walking is painful, I can understand the breathlessness, but pain, do you know why..?  I started just small at first and worked my way to longer distances, but all flat,cannot do uphill without oxygen, and on the flat at a snails pace, more like ambelling, but still enjoy the bush walks, birds and nature etc. walking is hard on breathing at first, I take the ventolin and oxygen incar just in case. I do get very tired, it takes a lot of energy to breathe. Take care, hope you have lots of help, it is good to have a supportive network around you, dr, physio, chemist etc. take care, happy thoughts

• Posted

Thank you for your response and information just a bit scary of the unknown  
  • Posted

hello there Eric, Oh yes, it is really scary, particularly in the earlier phase when you don't know what is going on, your body is doing one thing, your brain the other. The more I found out about it, the easier it was to come to terms with the fact it is eventually terminal, but so are a lot of other diseases, I have started preparing, will, I don't want to be resuscitated, don't want palliative care in hospice, so it all starts preparing me for the future, fear it your worst enemy, the unknown also, it can be crippling, talking to others who are in the same boat or similar situations, every person is different and responds differently to medications, so much fun, wandering around a minefield, sometimes feels like. Look after yourself, kindest thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.