Newly diagnosed with Crohns and UC

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been a little over a month since finding out I have crohns and UC. I am 25, male. In a really bad flare and am on all the medications needed. But it's seems like it's taking quite some time for any progress. I have had to get a blood transfusion, due to blood in my diarrhea. Blood is finally controlled, but I still have really bad stomach cramps and am throwing up often. I have lost 30 + plus pounds within the month. Anything I can do different? Eating has been hard. A lot of soup, some eggs, some rice. Nothing seems to be working in the recovery. But the doctor insist it takes time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mullen,

This is alot for you to be going through and I'm sorry to hear that your meds aren't helping. I don't really know how long the Dr.suggests it should take for them to work? Should they not do a followup to be sure they are actually helping and not just taking time to work. I would check back with your GI and possibly even a nutrionist to see what type of diet would benifit you the most especially with your weight loss. You might need a dietary supplement boost or ensure to help with the calorie intake.As for food keep trying to eat mild foods. My daughters GI reccomended metumucil as well and it helps to a degree. You could ask about tthat too. I hope you find something that is helpful for you. Take Care

• Posted

I have been suffering for the last 9 months only getting a diagnosis 7months ago. I tried steroids with no joy, then steroids with azathioprine with no joy. I then had a period of nearly two months on no meds waiting for the next step. Within the last two weeks I started on humira injections and finally have had good results. Unfortunately I think this is common practice and you just have to keep going. It will be frustrating and people around you will not understand why you are not sorted with meds yet. As far as eating goes its a case of just finding food that doesn't hurt knowing that you will get back to eating ok. I took comfort in the fact that chocolate was still my friend. So my advice is to keep plodding on and the right meds will there eventually

• Posted

My doctor has been trying to get me on the injectable deal too. But my insurance is playing hard to get. So I'm still waiting on that. With the injectables, is it a life long thing? Or just to get the flare under control? I'm afraid to use the injectables at such a young age. Heard a lot of mixed thoughts on it.
  • Posted

I am waiting for a colonscopy as i have had bad diarohea for 11 weeks and feeling rough now - I hope you feel better sounds awful for you and hope you get well, i have trying to eat vegetables, rice, yogurt cant eat bread anymore for some reason i am waiting to be diagnosed so looking up all bowel diseases take care go back to gp see if he can help at all
  • Posted

Thank you guys so much for your advice. Really means a lot to hear from people with the same issue. Been a rough road mentally and physically. Just ready to get a Normal life back and learn to manage the disease so another flare like this won't happen.
  • Posted

The injections are a lifelong thing or for however long they keep working for. I am in the uk so don't have the worry of the insurance. However there was the delay on waiting to get the powers that be give me the go ahead. By the time I got to this stage though I was willing to try anything. Well as I said earlier i have only been on them for just under two weeks and i have noticed a difference.

• Posted

Hi, sorry if I offended you. I never of someone having both diseases. I hope thing calm down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.