Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and I totally need some advice or tips on how to live with fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago but not really given much info from my GP. I've suffered from depression for around 7 years and chronic pain for about 5, I have been on loads of different antidepressants and pain killers with none of them really helping. I'm currently taking 200mg of sertraline and 300mg twice daily of Pregabalin. I also take Zapain four times a day. These help better than the others but I'm still struggling with pain each day, I work but I feel like it's draining ever you ce of energy I have but I just can't afford to give up, I'm exhausted all the time, I'm an emotional wreck and I'm fed up if not feeling lime me anymore. Does it ever get better? I feel like I've been given this diagnoses and then been told to go and get on with it. I don't know what this means for me? Sorry to go on but I just need somebody who understands.

bev xx

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hun 

Welcome to the fibro world ! I work too and just try to manage each day. Fibro has so many different things . If you get an ache or pain I think it's prob fibro and tue and tak things calmly. When you get the diagnosis you think great I have a diagnosis and then f**k what do I do now ? You can't either learn to pace yourself and rule it or let it

Take over . Keep positive which I know is b hard work bit it does help. Learn what you can do on different days and just keep going xxx hugs and remember you're you and fibro second xxxx 

• Posted

Thanks so much, you're exactly right about it being great when you get a diagnoses then not really knowing to to deal with it. 

I'm taking every day as it comes, some easier than others.

I know I'll figure it out and keep on being me.

thanks again for your reply xx

• Posted

Take care Hun and keep talking xxx fibro really pulls you down and the dark days and weeks are pants xxx hugs xxx 
  • Posted

thats excatly how u are made to feel .

all the pills you get are trial and error 

you need to help your self .

i dont take anything but supplements and  i am at the moment better of than most  iv had it for 10yrs . the pain does hit me bad at times  but you just get thru it .

most meds have several side effects and i just cant see the point of taking drugs for pain ,and ending up with things like dizzy spells nausa, and dry mouth etc as side effects, seems like people are swapping one symptom for several in most cases.

• Posted

Hi Bev, pacing does help (although it's fustrating). Elasticated Sport supports have helped me. I now have one with magnets in it for my back and my wrists.  Heat packs that you microwave help me alot when it's bad.

Determination I would say is something you've got to have to cope with Fibromyalgia and ME.  Although you've got to balance determination and common sense.  It's not easy but it's the way to achieve the most.  Determination to carry on, whilst common sense to stop you from pushing yoursef too much.  Unfortunately the balance point between the two changes every day depending on what your body can cope with on that day.

I would say the one thing to also help you through is smiling.  When you smile others enjoy helping you more and I would say for me it is easier to ask for help if I am smiling.  One I smile my troubles seem 'lighter' and that I can make it through.  Unfortunately when I am at my worse it seems so hard to smile, which is probably when I need it the mostrolleyes x

• Posted

Hi I'm new to this too just recently been diagnosed with fb thyroid and SAD condition and feeling exactly like you. I'm not coping very well..missed another day at work because I'm in so much pain. So I really feel for you..sorry I can't help but It was just like reading exactly how I feel..
  • Posted

Thanks so much for all your replies, just knowing that there are people who feel like me, that I can talk with about my pain without being judged is a massive help. I want to talk to my best friend but she doesn't believe "depression and all those things" even exists so I've not even told her about my diagnoses.  

I do try to keep smiling, no matter how hard it is but sometimes that keVes me exhausted too. I feel like I'm missing out on so much because I can't stay awake past 9pm.

i think this site will become an invaluable tool in my fight against fibro

cant wait to get to know you all better 

😊😊😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.