Newly diagnosed with genital herpes, help please :(

Posted , 41 users are following.

I'm a 25 year old female, always been in long term relationships and never slept around. Two months ago I met the man of my dreams, I changed my life to be with him. Before having sex, we both had a 'full' STI check which came back clean for us both. We didn't realise a 'full' STI check does NOT include testing for herpes.

We live in different countries, I have just been to visit him for two weeks and during the second week (5 days after we first had sex) I got really ill. Fever, aches, tonsillitis and then two small blisters on my vagina. I spent a fortune visiting doctors and eventually had swabs done and got my results monday morning. I am positive for type 2 herpes. Since then i have developed new sores on my vagina. My other half is devastated that he gave it to me, he has never had any symptoms. 

I am devastated. I feel disgusting. Like no one will ever want to be near me again. I feel like I have gone from having everything to offer to being classed as damaged goods. I was so happy the first week we were together, so happy, and when I was ill he was so supportive and kept me going but I was irritable and sick. Now this has happened he is being so supportive and amazing, but I can't get over the fact I now have herpes and I don't know if I even want to be with anyone ever again. I don't think I will ever feel sexy again. My vagina is a mess. I know it will clear eventually, I hope, but I will always be paranoid that it will spread to my face (I know this is unlikely with type 2 but it is possible). How do you even tell someone new that you have herpes !? "Hi, i like you and want to have sex with you but I am prone to cold sores of the vagina, so if we have sex you will probably get herpes" ?!?! No one will ever go for that. Ever. 

I've always been terrified of cold sores and warts. Now I actually HAVE the herpes virus. I can't believe this has happened. I have been taking aciclovir 400mg three times a day for 7 days now and new blisters are still forming. I have another 5 day course courtesy of my trip to the doctors in the uk yesterday when I got home. How long till they stop forming ? I got my first blister 9 days ago now. I also have a really heavy, thin, watery and slightly yellow vaginal discharge. I  mentioned this to the doctor but she said it's normal with herpes. It smells weird. I feel unclean. I feel disgusting. I don't want to leave my bed. I've taken time off work but I have to go back soon. I don't know how I am going to sit at my desk for so long when I have open sores and so much dischage. 

Please help me. I just want someone to talk to. I feel so alone. Any advice on how to get through this would be much appreciated. 

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know this is an old post, but you may see this. It has been over a year since you were diagnosed and I hope you are well over your initial attack and feeling emotionally stronger. I have had herpes for over 30 years, and life goes on. You get to know your body and at the first mild tingle I always apply Aciclovir this really helps. I take no supplements and now my outbreaks can happen maybe once a year or a couple of times a year, it is very random, but can be linked to stress when you are at a low ebb.  You (and me and everyone else) are not pariahs just unlucky. Keep strong and keep happy.
    • Posted

Hi, I have just come across your post. You say u apply aciclovir is that a cream or are you talking the tablets? Also would you mind telling me if you have hsv 1 or 2 as you have had the virus for 30years I thought by this time you wouldn't get any more outbreaks as I thought the decrease over the years. I am waiting on test results I believe I have genital hsv1 as my first outbreak was last year February and I believe I may have just had my 2nd outbreak. Hope to hear back. X

• Posted

Hi, I have type 2 genital, though you say you have genital type 1. I always thought type 1 was oral and type 2 genital. I use the cream as I try not to take too many tablets. My outbreaks are definitley less frequent but still occur. Good luck and hope all goes well. Happy to speak again if you wish x
  • Posted

I was 36 weeks pregnant when I found out. I've had one outbreak in my life and I don't be even realise I have it anymore. I'm still doing what I do everyday of my life! smile it's not as bad as it seems xxxxx

• Posted

Can anyone help. I've found out I have genital herpes type 2 a few months ago. I had serious blood poisoning and ended up in hospital. A few weeks later I came out with no spots and burning wee. Went to my doctor and was informed later that week I had herpes. So I informed my wife and she had all the test and came back clean. No herpes at all. I have been with my wife for 10 years never played away. What's happened? I'm confused. Help

• Posted

Hello, I was Just diagnosed 2 days ago. Im 24 and have been with my husband faithfully for 8 years. He is getting tested so Im not 100% sure if I got it from him or Who but from what my obgyn told me is that it could have been from a past relationship even if it was 9+ years ago. She said that the virus can stay dormant for many years, that some people can go many years without ever experiencing an out break. She also informed me that I could get numerous outbreaks or this may be the only outbreak I ever get. I hope it help clarify some things for you.
  • Posted

I understand completely how u feel. I was diagnosed just this past Monday. I too have been in a serious relationship with the same guy for three years. He swears he didn't step out but where else would I have gotten it. I too feel gross. I don't know if it will help u but I plan on talking to a therapist and hoping maybe this will help me cope and move forward. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself.

• Posted

OMG I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!! I can't believe this. I do good and get married and he's got blisters all over his mouth and now I have the herpes!! sad I feel so disgusted with myself and like no one will love me and I'm afraid of even being in my own skin!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! MY LIFE IS OVER!!!!!! sad I won't know the results for 1-2 weeks but I'm pretty sure that's what it is sad!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth...

Don't you love that line? Think about it..God created everything. So if you have a problem where medical science can't get rid off and you really want to be made new again in every sense of the word, turn back to the Creator, He has the blueprint of your body, he knows every hair on your head and every tiny detail about you, you are His most perfect creation. Your misjudgement has led you onto this path, but that doesn't mean you have to stay that way just because science tells you are to. Turn to Christ and you will be healed. Christ can raise the dead. Having Herpes or Genital warts is not being dead..Is it harder to raise the dead or to cure the living? I say it is easier to cure the living. Search for christ with all your heart and soul and you will find him and He will give you rest.😇

• Posted

I was diagnosed with genital herpese in 08/2016. Never had blister on my genital area but I have a constant heat/raw feeling with no pain.... I was wondering anyone experienced this??

I went thru all STD TESTS and I was negative expect for HERPESE. Now my doctor told me to take 1 500mg valacyclovir/ daily. It's been 2 weeks l see no changes

Please help ...

• Posted

It might be because you have it in your cervix if your female did you ask your Dr where he found the virus if he did blood work to look for this then might how he found it?maybe you should consult your Dr about this he can possibly change what you are taking and give you something else.
  • Posted

I'm 20 and was diagnosed today. I am in constant pain aswell as my partner thinking I cheated on him because I got this. I am scared, confused, feel dirty and I have been having dark thoughts. I don't know where to turn but you account made me feel not so alone.

• Posted

I'm very sorry for your diagnosis. But don't feel less of urself. I'm glad they have this site for ppl like me and u and come and vent without being judged.

I have yet to tell any of my family members.... But lm sure this will pass. Be strong and l will pray for u as l pray for my self. Be strong.

• Posted

Don't worry it will pass I was diagnosed 5 years ago while dating my current partner now he had herpes and did not know it when he gave it to me atleast that's what he said to me the first outbreak will be the worst ever try not to eat acidic foods get some aple cider vinegar to clean the area cook olive oil with 5 minced Garlic cloves cook it until garlic is brown drain the oil into a container then apply this on to your genital for 10 to 15 min atleast 3 times a day garlic will help dry the blisters faster also get yourself some manuka honey it will help keep the area dry and away from your skin take l-lysine vitamins and olive leaf you can find this at any market manuka honey is expensive and also hard to find I found mine at a vitamin store. Use all of the above everytime you urinate as well. If it burns to urinate take some AZO maximum strength you can find this also at any drug store it's for uti you can also run warm water while you urinate hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, I am 21 years old & I live in the US. I was just diagnosed yesterday with herpes. The Dr took a swab but was pretty sure it was herpes. I asked her if herpes appears years months later and she said that's true but in medicine , everything is pretty much black and white. That if you come into contact with a germ and it's contagious, you'll catch it right then and there. I've been having unprotected sex with this great guy I'm dating and I've been clean.

Because herpes take some time to appear, idk if he gave it to me or I gave it to him. He probably might have caught from someone else but never had any symptoms and never knew or he knew and was being a DOG and ruined my life on purpose, but I don't he'd do that to me. I told him to go get tested and he will. But I have not told him that I definitely have herpes.

I told him it was BV (bacterial vaginosis) & the Dr tested me and my results should return soon.....I was fine before this. Free of any STD and now my life is over. Changed forever. When the Dr told me, I was so numb I couldn't even cry. I'm young and had my whole life ahead of me. I don't even want to have sex anymore. I know I could still have babies but if I have a outbreak on the day of delivery, my only choice may be a C-section !!! (I don't like getting cut!) ....

(It is currently 10:33 pm ...Saturday, Mar 18) I tried to fill my prescription today without my mom finding out but the pharmacies over here in Maryland close at 6pm on saturdays. Now I have to wait til the pharmacy opens at 8am to fill my prescription tomorrow morning. My mom will take me because I don't want to risk her finding out until I'm ready to tell her myself.

I had a terrible day. It was itching so bad I rubbed it to relieve it and it swelled up and was really really BIG. I had never seen my vag swell up so bad until earlier today. I immediately jumped in the tub , ran freezing cold water on it til it stopped itching and it did but it was still very SWOLLEN. I can't wait to start taking my meds but I've read that the meds don't start working for real til a couple days later so I'll be suffering for some time.

Guys, I'm so scared to tell my mother that her youngest child has HERPES. She'll be heartbroken. My life is over. I feel like dying at this point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.