Newly diagnosed with hypothyroidism 5 wks ago, need advise please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 5wks ago after a blood test which even my own doctor thought would come bac as ok. After diagnosis, it was found that i actually had been suffering quite a number of symptoms. My doctor put me on 25mcg levothyroxine per day for 14 days, then to double it to 50mcg which i was on for 21 days, i have been put on 100mcg from today. I am back in 2weeks for another blood test. How long does it take for to start feeling a difference as i am still so tired all the time, the weight is still going on even though i am only on one small meal a day, some days i actually miss food altogether as have slept most of the time but weight keeps going on. I dont know my levels etc as doctor never told me and as i am new to all this and have very little knowledge i didnt think to ask, but will ask all about it at my next appointment. Can someone please help and advise me.

thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Sub clinicla hypothyroidism, less than 2 weeks ago. My Thyroid function tests (TSH) over the last 2 years was increasing and my doctor did not say anything!!!.

When I saw another doctor, she ran some tests and when she got the results told me I had an under active thyroid. She put me on Oroxine 50 mcg which I have been on for 9 days, (I take it in the evening). This is all new to me too.

I also suffered a number of symptoms, which I put down to menopause.

I go back in 4 - 5 weeks to assess my levels.

Some people take longer to feel better. I still feel tired, but on the up side, now I know why it is so hard for me to loose weight. I have just joined Jeny Craig. Lost 3 kgs, 9 too go.

I must admit some of the posts on this forum re the medication list lots of side effects, which is worrying to me, but I have not been on my medication for long enough. One take home message is not to "wean" yourself off without your doctors involvement.

Please stay in touch, seems like we both need some support.

LiquidAU

thank you

• Posted

Hi there. I'm sorry you're dealing with these symptoms right now. It can take up to 6 weeks to feel improvements after starting treatment. Also, since you need to titrate the dose slowly, it can take time to get to the dose that is right for you. (Unfortunately, I know. I am going through a dose adjustment right now and it's hard to stay patient). When you get bloodwork done, you should request TSH and free T4, free T3. Don't rely on just TSH! The TSH reference range is very broad and most people find they feel best with their TSH levels in the lower end of the reference range and free T4 and T3 in the mid- to upper end of the range. If your TSH improves but you still aren't feeling well, you should ask your doctor about taking T3 (Cytomel) in addition to the levothyroxine. Many people do not feel better on just the levo. I personally take dessicated thyroid that has both T4 and T3. Good luck, I hope you find relief soon!

• Posted

As I read, I see everyone is different.  For myself, it took about 8 to 10 weeks to feel like myself again.  Have patience and also ask for a copy of your blood work.  They HAVE to give them to you.  My regular GP kept telling me I was fine because my TSH was in normal range at about 4.00 or 5.00, but I still felt awful, so I got a referral to an endo doctor and he kept raising my dose and told me that most people don't feel better until their TSH is at around 1.00.  Well, I am now at 0.95 and feel amazing.  I use to feel like I would never feel better again and have to suffer my whole life.  If you have to, find a different doctor.  You want one that will work with your symptoms not numbers.  Have patience.. you'll feel better soon.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Its early days yet and i am sure you will get your dose right with perseverance, the reason i am replying to you is regarding your weight problem, it is awful when we pile it on and it is difficult tp get off but having one small meal a day or no meals will make it worse as your body worries that it is in a famine because it is not having regular food and will hold on to the fat in case the food stops altogether. So you will be far better having small regular meals, also having breakfast kicks of your metabolism so your body will start using the food you are eating, you do not have to go hungry that will make you feel worse and things are mentally harder to deal with when we have not had enough food to function properly.

You can eat as many vegetables as you like, so fill up on some lovely salads, yoghurt is nice for breakfast, fish is a good thing to eat salmon, pilchards, sardines and if you do want meat a tiny portion, like i will have one chicken thigh

( no skin on ) as my meat portion where i would have had 2. Seeds and nuts are good for stopping cravings but not too many. If you have asweet tooth a piece of halva is really good because it is so sweet you cannot have much and it does take away that craving.

I have lost 4 kilos over 7 months, i have been walking to the shops sometimes as well and going round the park on nice days but not done exsessive amounts.

Hope this helps smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.