Newly Diagnosed With IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,

i was diagnosed with IBS yesterday. My doctor gave me little to no information, essentially telling me to take Buscopan and try low FODMAP diet.

i don't feel safe following a FODMAP diet as my GP was not able to give me the help of a dietician, and I have an eating disorder.

I'm struggling to find information about when you use Buscopan; do you take it continuously, long-term or short-term? When should it be taken; with meals or before?

Just looking for any useful advice, as I didn't really get any answers in my appointment.

Thanks 😃

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

I was also told I had IBS and given no info. I have just been reading a lot on the internet but it can be overwhelming.

I just wanted to say that you are doing very well in being mindful about your eating disorder, you must take care of that first and foremost.

I hope someone comes along soon with some tips for you x

• Edited

hi teddie, your doctor is disgraceful! how disgusting that you have no information - some joke but it's not got a punchline... what symptoms do you get? how is your stomach, poo and do you get the runs or bunged up? you need to ask to speak to a chemist about buscopan as it deals with 1 sort of ibs, if however you have the runs all the time you need a medication to help everything running back through. you need to however have different medication if you are bunged up all the time. Google your dieticians locally, look online and explain to them that you need to talk to them. do you mind me asking what eating disorder you have? oh by the way ibs is a snap diagnosis by doctors sometimes because they then don't have to test for anything else like i discovered. (i had to move doctors to get a coeliac diagnosis,,). i hope you get the truth, it took me years. if you're not satisfied with your doctor you can make a complaint or ask to see someone else instead!

• Posted

hi!

Yeah so I've got IBS-D so my main symptoms really are diarrhoea, stomach pain, bloating, gas, feeling uncomfortably full, heartburn/indigestion and feeling weak. My symptoms don't really seem to flare up, I have them all the time which is very intense and hard to manage sometimes. I'm not really sure what medication could help with that, as I'm finding it hard to find information relevant to me and my symptoms!

And yeah, so I am autistic and I struggle with a mixture of ARFID and binge eating disorders. That's why I'm not happy trying to alter my diet without any kind of support- I will have a look at local dieticians and get in touch, thank you for the advice!

• Edited

hi ah ok, i do understand now! ibs-d is more common i think. lots of people will help you on here, i think. just remember to stay hydrated, find a special dietitian or someone who understands autism/take someone with you, it's just easier to remember everything. do you have pica is that what you mean by your eating disorder? if so make sure whoever you speak to understands this! just try less milk and dairy and less fibrous foods but discuss this with a professional. you need some help it's hard to live with. i hope you find someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.