Newly diagnosed with Lichens Sclerosis

Posted , 95 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed and it was pretty bad.  I thought that I had a yeast infection but it turned out to be this.  Prescribed a strong steroid cream and been using for a week now.  So far, it only makes my vulva inflamed and still have itching and pain with urination. 

I dont like the idea of having to take steroids long term and I am looking for a more natural treatment !  Help !

4 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Emuaid MAXX on Amazon and then Emuaid regular formula. It took 10 days for all my lesions to heal, all pain and itch to go away. Changed my diet ( no sugar, little carbs,  no soy, low oxalate), balanced out my supplements and  lowered my stress. 

I now moisturize with coconut oil or Medline soothe and cool Aloe with Vit A, D, E. 

Only have a tingle if I eat sugar or too much bread. I hv to give up Gluten next! 

Good luck to you! 

• Posted

Thanks Karen!  I mentioned my hesitation at taking steroids long term and she is still persisting that I at least finish my RX to get it under control and then lowered the dose , like twice a week .. forever..   lol.
    • Edited

Forever is a long time! 🙄 I hv a lot of reactions / allergies to things, so if I can treat it naturally with diet, supplements and creams like Emuaid, that’s my path. I did fill the clob script and  I hv it if I need it, but teying to hold off! I also bought the 100% Food- quality Borax on Amazon and may tey the Borax and water paste on the cotton ball to see if it helps clitoris hooding. It still responds to stimulation, but not as sensitive as it was....

• Posted

Hi Karen, did you need to apply the Emuaid to the outer areas of the labia majora...(.onto the hair )and groin areas aswell or just on the vulva and inner labia minora etc ? My LS diagnosed area was just at the entrance to vagina, just a bit of redness,no itching/patches anywhere that I can see but recently, I'm experiencing a kind of soreness on the hair section of labia lip, radiating to the groin area on same side and a tingly sensation so unsure if spreading spreading! Feels a bit sore/irritation kind of feeling like when you've got a bit of sunburn to your skin. I use clobetasol ( dermovate) for the vulva area but I'm concerned if I apply more of it to the mentioned area aswell, .that I'll be using way too much of it as the one finger tip dose , wouldn't be enough for it all . Any suggestions would be helpful. !

• Posted

hi there! when u apply emuaide (i just bought it) do you put it on the inside a bit as well? I googled and googled and I didn’t see anything saying not to so I guess I did it. Like you I’m trying to get away from that steroid cream a little bit. how is eumaide working gor you far? ty

• Posted

If you mean inside the labia- yes. inside the vagina- no. LS does not typically affect the vagina or inside it.

I'm doing well, LS under control, no further flare- ups, I use emuaid if I feel little irritated - usually around my period when hormones increase. Lowered my stress, cut out majority of sugar.

• Edited

Hi Karen - really interesting to read about your experience which sounds very similar to my own. I have never been certain about sugar but lately I feel this is a big contributor to flare-ups - especially around my periods too. I'm not usually a stressed person but i think recent perimenopause oestrogen fluctuations and the related stress is causing more LS flare-ups for me too. I really hope I can keep the LS under control as I get older, as I'm usually relatively asymptomatic. I'm also currently trying to work out if Ive developed a bit of sensitivity to the steroid cream, so I'm really encouraged to hear the results you have had from Emuaid. Ive just ordered some V magic as I read avocado oil can be great (similar principle to the antioxidant support from emu oil, I think) but having read your success I might try the Emuaid too. One question -on average how often do you now use the steroid cream/ointment? And for how long? I wish they would do more research into the efficacy of antioxidant options rather than just throwing steroids at it all the time! Thanks for your post and those from others too, its great to be able to share successes (and what not to do too!). T

• Edited

Tracey419- I only use the clobetasol if I feel a " tingle"- indicates to me active LS. I use the emuaid around my period and on my perineum which has had a build-up of scar tissue forming. I used to use Clob 3x a week as per my Dr., but as I hv lowered my stress and cut sugar, I find it unnecessary. I can't get back the architecture I hv lost, but I have stopped obsessing about it. I shower with Cetaphil and take baths with epsom salt, baking soda and sometimes food- grade borax ( on amazon)

• Posted

I try not to put the emuaid inside the vagina because it burned when some got in there by mistake. It didn't work for me. Natural oils worked better.

• Posted

I was just diagnosed and just reading the support group for the very first time. Where do you get all the information on diet, what supplements to take etc. My doctor told me nothing about this.

• Posted

PATHWAY INTO/OUT OF AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES: Nutritional & Lifestyle Implications

January - May 2018   Nancy Kimball Baumgarten, MLA

a fellow lichen sufferer soent years putting this all together. try and search for it using the above title.

• Edited

Hi Karen - thank you so much for your reply. Sorry for the huge delay in getting back to you, I was having password problems with the site at the time. I hope you are doing well. I've been doing a lot similar to you re. cutting out sugar and adding supplements and this seems to be helping. I'm also super sensitive to most products but coconut oil, vmagic, emuaid and almond oil work well for me. I'm convinced stress/health anxiety (combined with increased sugar at the time) kicked things off for me, so a lesson for me in itself. warm wishes T

• Posted

Hey Karen,

I find your post to be really similar to my own life with LS. I do want to add though, I have experienced fusing at the vagina and personally do insert a tiny bit of emuaid just barely inside and have found it to be helpful.

I'm glad you're kicking ass!

• Posted

I was only diagnosed a few weeks ago but I was given intragel that  helps numb the area as well as clob  steroid cream I’ve also bought OB YES which I find really soothing 

Hope that helps

• Edited

Hi Becca, I was diagnosed in November 2019 but had symptoms since February 2019. Crazy thing is I had never heard of such a thing so I just thought it was something that I was doing that caused me discomfort. It wasn't until I saw my skin change to a bright raw looking color that I said "this can't be normal" Maybe I didn't give the steroid cream enough time to work, I do not know but it did absolutely nothing for me. My GYN made me feel like there is nothing else and I just have to live like this. My symptoms now are so bad that I feel like I have lost control of the situation. In the past 3 weeks I have experienced open sores that do not heal, pain, swelling, itching that keeps me up all night, dryness, peeling skin and depression. I keep seeing ads for Emuaid but haven't tried it. Not because of the price but because I was skeptical. I use Vitamin E, Aquaphor and even neosporin for the cuts. I heard baking soda helps but in my case since I have open cuts, I am afraid it will burn. If anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Edited

Hello! 😃 I used baking soda a lot before I knew what this hell isI also have the fissuring above my clitoris my gosh it is painfulI bought clobeta sone online but I havent gone to the dr yet its obvious what it is the clo does work

I went into remission for almost 2 years i sure wish i knew what caused that but baking soda provides a lot of relief we installed a bidet and that is helpful but I just used a tsp in the shower and washed with it

• Posted

Hi I too have this problem try a good urinary tract probiotic, oregano oil capsules 1000mg, hot water washes in shower and apply organic castor oil or organic apricot kernel oil. Also multi gyn gel works but not on open sore... at times. This system will work .... It won't cure you but it will provide a lot of relief. Silver water too .... Hope this helps

• Edited

Thank you! I have to say that when this happens I tend to get really anxious and try so many different things because I become desperate. It is hard to tell which ones work. I will tell you this though, today as I write this to you, all those symptoms that I thought were never going to end last week have totally disappeared. I am in shock and although I am excited, I am annoyed because I wish it just wouldn't happen at all. I tried boric life vaginal suppositories (ordered on amazon) and today will be my 6th day using it so I do not know if it was that, or just coincidence but I figured I come on here and share it with you all since we are all desperately trying to figure out what works for our bodies. I was really scared last week. My symptoms were really bad and painful. I wish we knew for sure what causes this so we can fix it.

• Posted

First off, I love the user name lol

Second, thank you for the advice and sharing what works for you. I will keep what everyone is saying in my notes so that I can try them .

I tried boric life vaginal suppositories (ordered on amazon) and today will be my 6th day using it so I do not know if it was that, or just coincidence but I feel back to normal ! Last week, I didn't think that was going to happen for me. I was in so much pain and I felt really depressed. I just wanted to share what I used in hopes that it can help someone else.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I feel badly for you right now. I, too, was diagnosed in November of 19. If you have raw, red skin and any cuts, I would stay away from baking soda unless you dilute it first. It can burn your skin if not diluted so be sure to try a weak solution of it first. I took a small, 3 or 4 oz bottle and filled it with spring water (not tap water) and added about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Shook it up and poured it over the area while on the toilet. Seemed to soothe the area. Pat dry and put olive oil or coconut oil on it. That has helped me. EmuAid did not help me, neither did Aquaphor. Have you considered Polysporin? It works better for me anyway than Neo. I know what you're saying about depression as I am also depressed because of the pain ( no itching here) and because daily life is difficult. Have seen a few drs who don't seem to know much but I have been reading on my own. I have a science degree and can understand some of these Mayo Clinic type articles. Let us know how you get on. Pat

• Posted

Hi there I use the Borax tablets as well from Amazon and I find them a great relief as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.