Newly diagnosed with Osteoporosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have been recently diagnosed with Osteoporosis having experienced severe pain due to a fractured spine. I am 44 and wondering if the pain ever goes away and if your daily life can be the same as before?

Many Thanks,

Arlene.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Arlene.

I too have severe back problems and although diagnosed with OP after shattering an ankle, I do believe my back problems are due to OP, as we can fracture our spine without first knowing. I can get very severe back pain for months, which has the ability to affect how I function each day. Believe me I know what you mean. After a few months I'm fine with maybe a little bit of back pain now and then but no hinder emcee to my daily living. This has been going on for 15 years and I'm 61. I take supplements, exercise and eat mainly healthy foods. I feel for you because it's absolutely terrible. All the best to you. 

• Posted

So sorry Arlene that this has happened to you when you are still young.

Hopefully your life will improve and you are able to enjoy daily life again soon.

I am 72 so not in the same situation as you are. This has happened to me much later in life so feel for you.

I also have not broken anything and hope that continues.

Others will be able to help you who are in a similar position.

All the best.

• Posted

I understand. I had my first spinal fracture at 47 and second at 60 when I was diagnosed. For me, the pain has never gone completely but after a lot of physio and deternation, I do pretty much everything I did before.  Don't give up. It is worth the effort, but it is not easy.

• Posted

One of the best things you can do is get some physio from a physiotherapist expert in OP who can give you safe exercises to strengthen muscles which support the spine. Also, please be aware that diet and supplements, as well as exercise, can improve bone density. Google combination of micronutrients bone. You wouldn't have to follow the protocol of the study, I just tell you about it so you know there are things you can do to improve your situation. All the best.

• Posted

Arlene, so sorry to hear about your fractures and severe pain.

Can I ask if you've been prescribed any medication to help heal the fractures and to prevent further ones developing? 

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.