Newly diagnosed with PMR. This is awful!

Posted , 11 users are following.

My doctor started me on 40mg of prednisone which was a magic bullet for my symptoms but I had some unsavory side effects. He dropped me to 20mg and I am managing on this dose. My mornings are pure hell though. My husband wakes me up an hour before I have to get up. He gives me my prednisone and a water bottle with a long straw so I don't have to move much. An hour later, he lifts me out of bed and stands me on my feet. From there, I start moving and eventually can manage the rest of my day.  I have to walk to keep the pain down in my thighs & butt. I'm currently logging 5 miles per day. 

Last week I had the sed rate blood test and it had improved some so he dropped me to 15mg. Immediately my symptoms exploded. I had to go back up to 20mg. It took 2 horrible days for the pain to get back to manageable. He gave me some pain medicine which does absolutely nothing for the PMR; it just added nausea to the list of complaints.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was eager to resume a generous amount of exercise when I finally got a diagnosis and was put on 20mg for two weeks. I crashed when the two weeks ended, severe fatigue, nausea and even mild fever, plus my joints were so painful I walked like I was 40 years older than my 53 years.

When I was later prescribed a tapering dose starting at 15mg/day, I got most of the relief I had at 20mg, and again was anxious to resume exercise. I believe the two hours of daily exercise helped, but not as much as I hoped. That would have to wait a few months when at 12mg I was improving rapidly and getting back into sporting activities.

The following months didn't go well, I suffered needlessly at too low of a dosage until I reached 5mg/day and had to go up to 6mg for a while, then held at 5mg for almost a year.

Now 3-1/2 years later, and at 3mg/day, I still exercise as much as possible and use a dosage that I adjust to seemingly seasonal changes in my dosage requirement.

My rheumatologist is ok with my adjusting dosage to my real-time needs.

I recommend maintaining dosage that allows one to be active, and to take advantage of improved condition by maintaining a generous schedule of exercise when allowable.

I also medicate in the evening now that I am on low dosage, so I wake with the ability to exercise at the time of day that I have the most energy.

My dosage level from the start was presumably based somewhat on my 140lb body weight, for what that's worth, and it seems that I have been able to make the largest and fastest seasonal reductions to my dosage level when I am most active.

• Posted

kathy61958  OMG no wonder you feel so awful.  Your doctor subjected you to a 50% reduction in dosage.  Admittedly 40 mg is kind of high even as an initial dose for PMR, but still you should have been allowed to reduce in much smaller steps.  Try to get a dosage which manages your pain, then stay there for a month to get the inflammation cleared out, then start a slower taper - no more than 10% at a time.  At higher doses you may be able to drop more frequently, say once a week or fortnight.  But  always you should let your symptoms be your guide, not test results, although they can be useful guides.  Later you should consider the Dead Slow Nearly Stop tapering method which enables you to find the lowest dose which manages your pain.  This is not a quick journey.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.